cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I believe that my SNR margin is causing slow downstream sync speed

Paul

I believe that my SNR margin is causing slow downstream sync speed

Hi,
I've recently had a terrible noise problem on the BT phone line, which they (Openreach) have now finally fixed. It was causing lots of disconnects so the exchange has ramped the SNR margin up (to around 30) and throttled the downstream sync speed to 250kb/s. 
Now the line is fixed and the broadband has been connected since the engineer left yesterday afternoon (around 21 hours ago).  I've talked to Plus.net Customer Service who said that I have to sit it out for 72 hours to see if the SNR/downstream rate automatically adjusts before they will action a SNR reset from their side.
I was wondering though: in people's experience, does it reset at the exchange ONLY when it hits 72 hours or could it happen beforehand?
Thanks for any insight in advance,
Paul.
PS: My set up is: a draytek vigor 120 modem connected to an Airport Extreme (and I use a Mac computer) so the only way I seem to be able to get at the modem stats is to disconnect the modem from the Airport and connect the ethernet cable directly to my computer so I can access the web-based UI for the modem. At the moment I am loath to do that for fear of it resetting the 72 hour counter as the PPPoA session disconnects. Unless it is only rebooting the modem that will cause the counter to reset? i.e. disconnecting the PPPoA session and/or router is fine?? I have no idea.
As a result: I have never been so nervous in my life that my modem will reset itself/disconnect. I think I rely on the internet too much!
10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: I believe that my SNR margin is causing slow downstream sync speed

As the broadband problem was caused by the phone line fault, I can't see a reason why we wouldn't reset the SNR now for you. I've asked one of the team to sort this out and reply here when they've done it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Paul
I've talked to Plus.net Customer Service who said that I have to sit it out for 72 hours to see if the SNR/downstream rate automatically adjusts

It wouldn't! Someone needs educating on the difference between the time taken for an IP Profile change and adjustment of the target SNR. The former can take around 72 hours, the latter can take weeks to return to normal.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Paul

@Chris : Thanks for your response. I look forward to hearing back from your team. Will I need to provide my account name to someone, or is that included in my forum account somehow?
@jelv :
Quote from: jelv
can take weeks to return to normal.

Yikes! I had no idea. I hope it can be sorted by PN then as it has already been about 3.5 weeks without a usable internet connection (but this was nothing to do with PN, it was solely the phone line fault which openreach took their time fixing).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Paul,
I'm the chap from Chris' team that's just requested the SNR reset for you. Fingers crossed you'll see some improvement after a couple of hours. However, please do bear in mind that these requests can take up to 24 hours to complete.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Paul

@_Adam_Walker_ : Thanks so much for that. I will definitely keep fingers and toes crossed. Should my modem automatically notice the change or will I need to disconnect/reconnect at some point?
Thanks,
Paul.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Adam, Have you been along to CSC with Mand's educating tool to see whoever it was that suggested a SNR reset might happen automatically within 72 hours?
Paul, It should automatically resync by itself.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Paul

Well, that went through pretty quickly! Moments after you must have requested it my modem resynched at a MUCH higher rate. The BT speed tester now shows my theoretical maximum downstream rate as 21MB! It has never been anywhere near that before because the phone line has always has some sort of noise on it. It currently shows my IP profile as 10mb.
So:
- do I now just have to wait for the plusnet line systems to update with that new IP profile before I see the speed increase? [Edit: this is where I am supposed to be looking for it to update isn't it?: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed]
- Is it normal to see a large difference between the theoretical maximum and the IP profile value? In this case 11mb.
Thanks again for any insights.
Cheers,
Paul.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just upped your profile on our side to 10000, it's not showing on the site we get profile updates from so that would have delayed things. Should improve your speed for you (I hope), please let us know.
Paul

That would be a yes! 
I think I once had it go higher than 6mb a couple of years ago, so it is now the best it has ever been!
Thanks so much to you and your colleagues on the Digital Care team (and you @jelv!!).
I will wait to see if BT wholesale improve my IP profile further up over time, now that the line is fixed properly.
cheers,
Paul.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah brilliant, that's great news Smiley Thanks for letting us know, hope things do improve for you.