Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Think I've Got a Problem.

FIXED
ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I Think I've Got a Problem.

I've now been with PlusNet for nearly six months and, apart from some minor teething troubles at first, have been very satisfied.  However, for the last few days I've had to reset my router to get an internet connexion.  This effects all devices no matter what OS they are running or if they are on Ethernet or wi-fi.

The figures look OK to me, though I don't claim more than the most basic understanding of them.

I have made no changes at my end to either hardware, software or the configuration thereof so can only conclude there is a problem developing either on the network or in my router.

I would be grateful if you could test my line to rule out or confirm the former before I mess about changing routers.

Thank's in advance

Joe

10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: I Think I've Got a Problem.

Hi there, 

Our logs (as below) are showing some downtime in the mornings or a brief disconnection but there's no real pattern to it: 

Line tests aren't showing any obvious issues either so I'd try the checks here next:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Trying another router would also be a good idea if you can just to rule that out as you shouldn't really need to reboot it to get back online as that should happen automatically after a connection drop. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star

Thank you for that.  It confirms my experience of the first time I switch a computer on in a morning finding that my internet has quietly passed-away in the night.

As for the troubleshooting my telephone line is clear of noise, the router is in the same socket it always has been* and all plugs are in properly.  I'll set-up a different router before the end of the day and see what it's like in the morning.

*There's a micro filter plugged into the NTE5 and the ASDL socket of that goes via a twisted pair to a secondary that the router plugs into via a flat cable that's only about a foot long to keep the untwisted length as short as possible.  Only the 2/5 pair is connected at either end so the ringing wire isn't in the equation.  This may not be the conventional way of doing it but it's worked faultlessly until a few days ago.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cheers for getting back to us

If a new router doesn't help things I'd recommend connecting it into the test socket found behind the faceplate of the master socket. Failing that if you're still seeing drops I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net to report a fault to us.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star

I've now set another router up so will see how that behaves over the coming days.  If it does still play up I'll try a different micro-filer plugged into the test jack.  I don't think the test jack will make any odds as the wire going from the NTE5A to the micro-filter is a hard-wired twisted pair: there's nothing plugged into the 'normal' socket.  Still, you never know.  I hasten to add the wire is onto the user terminals on the back of the faceplate not the main incoming ones.

When I first set things up I did it as well as I could, not what was easiest.  As said in my previous post there's only about a foot of wire that isn't twisted pair so as to reduce the chances of interference getting into it.

This may be a bit premature but does the PlusNet-supplied Hub Zero have a guarantee?  I much prefer that as it is one of the few available that can be wall-mounted.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Thanks for the update, let us know how things go.

If the new router works we'd be able to replace the Hub Zero free of charge as they'd come with a 12 month warranty.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star

After a week of using an alternative router my connexion has been rock solid so it does look like the trouble was with my Hub Zero, or it's power supply — switchers are not to be trusted. 

Could you please tell me the procedure for claiming under the guarantee aforesaid.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @ThePillenwerfer 

I thin what @Gandalf meant was that we would send you out a free replacement Hub1 if the issue was rectified by using another bit of kit. 

@Gandalf - am I right here? 

Thanks, 

MoR

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ThePillenwerfer 

Gandalf has told me that we are to send you a new Hub Zero out. 

I've done this on your account now. 

Thanks, 

MoR

ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star

Thank you for the excellent service.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problems at all! 

Give us a shout if we can ever be of more help. 

All the best, 

MoR