Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge errors / profile change

wshaw31
Grafter

Huge errors / profile change

Hi guys,

I was hoping one of the mods would be able to assist.
I am on my training period ad started of with a great sync, however this is decreasing due to a very large number for HEC and Errored seconds.
It is much worse today now the weather is wet, there is obviously a fault somewhere causing Dlm to reduce speed, however I don’t notice any any degration when using the internet.
Before I go down the engineer route (very long rural line, so god knows where the error is) I thought maybe a mod could adjust my profile to see if it helps.
By capping my upstream to 448 in the past made a huge difference. I would request that maybe a custom profile with a huge acceptable error rate before dlm intervenes will solve the problem.
I do t really mind the errors as it’s not effecting internet in anyway, just dlm will keep kicking in and reducing speed, I’m already 1mb slower than my next door neighbour.
If a mod wouldn’t mind making these profile adjustments, we’ll see how it goes. If dlm won’t intervene, the errors aren’t degrading me at all.
If it still not great, can then get the engineer route, but on a long line like mine in the countryside he would need to be here a week 😂
FYI, I’m in the test socket, no extensions in house, drop line straight to master.
60 REPLIES 60
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Huge errors / profile change

Hey, I've taken a look into this for you and I've placed an order to cap your upload speed, which should take effect from tomorrow. The profile you're on is the fastest with the most tolerance for errors. When we set a custom profile, this is to basically make DLM think a line can't do better, to stop positive changes (speed increases) unless there are zero errors. 

I've also triggered interleaving to be turned off from tomorrow, which may also help.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wshaw31
Grafter

Cheers for that Gandalf, much appreciated 👍 was just wondering would fastpath not increase Crc and Es as there would be no forward error correction?

Cheers
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @wshaw31 Potentially, let's see how it goes, we can always turn interleaving back on if we need to. 

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wshaw31
Grafter

No bother, thanks Gandalf, will keep an eye over the weekend see how it gets on 👍
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sounds like a plan!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wshaw31
Grafter

Just for an update,

Errors have reduced significantly, so the upstream cap had defiantly much improved things 👍 although any errors now coming through as ES, I think if we put interleaving back on high, looks like it will be running great 👍

Cheers
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @wshaw31

Thanks for your response, and I'm glad to hear that capping your upstream speed has resulted in fewer errors.

As requested, I've now turned Interleaving back on. See how you get on over the weekend, although as this can take one working day, it might not come into effect until Monday.

give us a shout if you need any further assistance at all Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
wshaw31
Grafter

Cheers Adam,

Will keep an eye and see how all goes 👍
wshaw31
Grafter

Hi Guys,

Just noticing interleaving has not turned back on as yet? Can this take until midnight?

Cheers
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

HI @wshaw31

Thanks a lot for reaching out again, seems strange as I did process this on Friday. I've submitted a new request to turn on Interleaving which should complete by the end of the day.

Keep an eye on your connection and let us know how you get on.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
wshaw31
Grafter

No probs Adam , Cheers 😎
wshaw31
Grafter

Hi Adam,

Still no interleaving, the Dlm has now kicked in due to all the errors without it and dropped the sync and raised the snr away up to 10 😭
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@wshaw31@adam945 Wee bit of confusion here I think. Sorry about this. 

When I turned off interleaving I did this as part of the order to cap your upstream speed, which basically reprovisioned your service rather than making the changes at DLM level. This meant that DLM would never reverse this by itself.

I suspect what Adam's tried to do is enable interleaving via what we call self service repair tool, which allows us to manually alter DLM settings on the fly, but the provisioning of a service always takes precedent. 

I've placed an order now to permanently enable interleaving, which should take effect from tomorrow or sooner. Once the order's completed, if the SNRM doesn't settle down I can do an SNR reset.

I can though change the interleaving state to "Automatic" rather than "Yes" or "No" which would mean DLM will be free to turn interleaving off and on as it sees fit. Let me know if this is something you'd want.

Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wshaw31
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

All makes sense now, that’s no problem 😊

Think we may as well keep interleaving permanently on, always ends up reverting back on anyway and the extra latency isn’t really an issue for me . I’d rather have it cranked up high sorting errors than dlm turning it off and [-Censored-]ing speeds again 😊

Thanks for the help 👍