Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge bandwidth drop since Xmas eve.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Huge bandwidth drop since Xmas eve.

You could try disconnecting from Plusnet using the router's web interface, then reconnect again (this doesn't involve a reboot/re-sync). That would ensure the correct line management profile is assigned to your connection. However I would have expected Matt to check that.
David
David
bomster
Grafter

Hi there,
Cheers for your response, David. Just disconnected via the routers web interface like you said, and indeed my connection is edging closer to my speed prior to Xmas eve.
Just did a speed test at 5Mbps. Use to get 6.72, and always had a sync rate of 8000+.
I used to get 730ish KB/s on my downloads. It's now more like 500KB/s.
I just don't understand what has happened to my set up that has caused this problem.
As always, thanks for everyones responses to the matter.
Cheers,
Tom
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Based on a Plusnet post elsewhere in these forums at the moment there is a possibility of some peculiar side effects from the data centre problems in Sheffield. I suggest leaving things until the early hours maintenance tomorrow morning has been completed.
However fixing data centre problems is unlikely to change your sync speed - that needs reviewing once things return to normal.
David
David
bomster
Grafter

Sync rate started steadily dropping since Thursdayish. Now sitting at 2496 kbps  :S. Any idea on what is going on?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bomster,
Your SNR is currently a whopping 31dB which will be causing the low sync rate. How is your kit set up? Are you using extension cables/sockets?
Jojo Smiley
bomster
Grafter

I have never changed setup. Router is directly into test socket like you recommended. Router is not plugged into an extension leed, it is straight into a socket.
What is going on :S ?
Cheers
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Bomster,
Looks like the sync rate has been dropping since the start of the year, though unfortunately we can't see why. Best thing to do would be to plug the router into the test socket and test it with different filters and possibly ADSL cable if you have spares, and check the sync rates after each change (I'd disconnect the router via its interface before unplugging in each case to prevent the DLM system being even more harsh). If that doesn't show anything up then try another router if you can, and if that doesn't improve anything then I'd recommend raising a fault to be honest.
Sorry it's being such a pain, unfortunately things can change or stop working so well even if they aren't touched 😕
bomster
Grafter

Just reset router. Changed filter. No other ADSL cable unfortunately, but this one looks fine. Pulled everything out, put everything back in again. Made sure all connection were tight.
Sync is back up yo 8128. See how long it lasts.
ADSL Link                    Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed   8128 kbps     448 kbps
Line Attenuation                 5.0 db      4.0 db
Noise Margin                13.3 db         27.0 db
Noise still looks high right?
Current line speed on https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed is still reading 2MB. Can you reset it back higher?
Cheers
x47c
Grafter

Your noise margin is high because the sync cannot go any higher - you are on the top limit of 8128
you are also, with that attenuation, probably in the flat above the exchange.
Had the sync rate been abe to go higher then the noise level would drop as the sync increases until it gets to the target sync level which would ideally be 6 dB.  The sync would be 9000 odd or more probably in this hypothetical situation.  But as the max on 20CN is 8128 the noise margin is that wide.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI bomster,
I've just checked your line and the BT profile has now gone back up to 7150, so I've set your profile our side to match. You should see the increase shortly.
Jojo Smiley