cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One firmware update request

rpaco
Grafter

Re: Hub One firmware update request

Hi Just back from hosp appt, Speed test shows 9.5Mbps almost as fast as my mobile hotspot. 

So thanks finally.

I shall continue to monitor speeds daily.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @rpaco, thanks for getting back to us, I'm glad to hear your speeds are back to normal. If you have any further issues, please do get back to us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
rpaco
Grafter

Well that did not last long!

Having been out having a hernia operation this morning I get back to find download speed has dropped to Sync 3.5Mbps with DSL line at "Down Rate=4538Kbps, Up Rate=691Kbps; SNR Margin Down=5.3dB, Up=7.6dB"

Engineer had reset SNR rate down at  at 6Db so this fell below it. Also note dropouts have occurred.

So not happy. Got nowhere, back to square one!!

On engineer test, line was clean with SNR quite high. 

Maybe all my modems are duff though unlikely. 

I would like to upgrade to FTTC but am now not confident enough in Plusnet/OR to pay the extra for what may also be an unacceptable service, as I note many similar long standing unsolved problems in other threads in the FTTC forum. (Also occurring in BT and other competitor forums, notably all served by the OR network. Currently the speeds are below "Handback value" as defined by BT for my line. Thus technically Plusnet or OR are in breach of contract  and back to "ADSL Max speeds" from 10 years ago at half the price.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @rpaco 

I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing connection problems. Our tests aren't showing a definitive cause for the issues however we can see that something is definitely not right somewhere as the SNR margin is almost sky high at 19dB.

To be honest I wouldn't suggest going for fibre until we've got to the root cause for the problem because depending on where the problem lies, the fault may likely follow you when you're on fibre.

Having said that your potential fibre speed is around 64.9mbps so that suggests you're pretty close to the cabinet(The green box in the road) so a lot of the copper line will be eliminated if you decide to go for fibre. 

What we need to do is arrange another engineer visit but this time, we'll get it escalated with Openreach requesting a multi-skilled engineer to carry out a thorough end to end investigation. To start this process could you reply to your ticket with your availability for another appointment please?

I'd give us 48 hours notice, so if you reply today I'd provide us your availability from next week, this will give our suppliers escalation team time to escalate this with the engineers on the ground.

If you can nudge us over here once you've added a reply we'll get the engineer booked in and escalated.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rpaco
Grafter

Hi again.

I still wonder if it could be the modem. I have not opened it up but I do know that capacitors degrade over time, especially electrolytics. (I very old and recall large ones firing their cans to bounce of the ceiling and the lab filled with sudden damp paper snow)

I have also replaced 4 or 5 Cheap wall phones as the caps degrade and after a year or so it keeps ringing poking the exchange.

Why are all your company modems French? (Thompson, Sagem) I can recommend an amusing history book by Stephen Clark entitled 1000 years of annoying the French. It is not like normal history books. Very revealing as well as entertaining.

I have also noticed the large number of fragented packets showing up from my mobile. Have just rebooted same to see if they stop. (the do seem to have stopped  for now anyway)

I am also noticing PPOA drops without dropping the DSL line.

Now were this a new laptop or a new mobile I would suspect either of the malformed packets which appear continuusly.

However both have been working with your service for months, the laptop for years, PVR years Netbook years, JVC connected TV about a year. So again the modem or the line or the line controlling sodftware.

*** Ok do you or OR have a modem test?  If so lease advise details.

*** If I re-up on my current service (I am our of contract and rolling monthly) would I get a new modem? If so lets do that!

Or I can buy a BT Super 6 hub on eBay, but it may be a tad expensive though still cheaper then the top pro types. Wha tdo you think before we repeat the same tests for the third time, as my last engineer reckoned that the modems used by Plusnet and BT had a very limited working life.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @rpaco

If you're referring to a test router or modem I'm afraid we don't have anything like that. When an Openreach engineer goes out they test the line with what's known as JDSU which acts as a router to a degree.

With regards to getting a new router if you were to contact us and recontract, we'd be able to send you out a Hub Zero router.

If you want to do this you'd need to speak with our Customer Options Team. They can be contacted on 0800 013 2632 and are open the following hours

Monday to Friday- 9 am while 8 pm
    Saturday - 9 am while 7 pm
    Sunday - 9 am while 6 pm

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rpaco
Grafter

Hi, no I meant the opposite, a way to test the modem.

If the modem is faulty or working in a degraded mode then it may be causing an accumulation of LCP or PPP errors which is triggering a speed cap on the line while the line itself remains clear and in good condition.

Thus I feel I need either to test the modem (I am now back using the second hand Hub One) or try a different modem. 

I may try a BT Smarthub 6 which has good reviews and I see from other threads here that it works well on Plusnet, apparently being another Sagemcom device and obviously in the same product family as the Plusnet Hub one (which is n equivalent to BT Hub 5)

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @rpaco

I'm afraid there are no tests ourselves or Openreach can do to 100% diagnose a faulty router.

If you do have the same issues on another router let us know and we'll investigate further

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rpaco
Grafter

Hi folks

I have a brand new sealed BT SmartHub 6 arriving sometime on Monday 16/09/19 so  I will ask you to do a cap removal /sync reset on my line then after I have configured it for your service (Force9)

Meanwhile today my downstream has fallen so much it is now less then the upstream. This after a reboot, as previously the latency was so high the upstream test refused to run at all. See attached .png

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @rpaco.

I can see that @Gandalf has sent you a ticket, accessible here.

Please let me know here once you've sent in the ticket response and I'll get onto it ASAP for you.

rpaco
Grafter

I have responded to the ticket as below:

<<Well once again I reiterate that I do not think it is worth booking another engineer until I have eliminated the modem as a cause of the problem. (currently a second hand Hub one.  I have a "known (assumed) good" brand new BT Smart hub6 arriving on Monday and feel this should be tested online before booking an engineer.

It is certain that I see very different figures on my modem log to those you see at your end, in particular the S/N ratio.  I am now see photos being constructed in strips as in dial-up days. All this could be the modem, although I have now tried three different ones on the line. However with the sync cap automatically lowering, once it is at a low level, changing modems is not indicative without a reset of the cap each time. The Sync speed does not appear to rise again automatically if the S/N improves.

None the less at your own risk if you insist on a third engineer visit I am free Monday to Thursday all day and Friday morning of next week.

The engineer should be equipped to measure mains line and 12V anomalies (spikes/interference)  and other EM interference in my home. (Both injected and radiated) Though current EMC regulation adherence should prevent these.>>

If you can reset the cap on Monday when i tell you I have configured the new Hub6 it would be a great help.  Before that a reset will not be effective. Many thanks. 

Of course it could be in the cabinet or exchange, but all tests so far show a very clean line.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to me.

IMO I think you're right - it would be best to wait for us to be able to say that it definitely is/isn't the modem and so I'll hang fire until we've seen how the HH6 performs once it arrives.

Please let us know here how you get on with it and if needs be we'll progress to an engineer then.

rpaco
Grafter

Yes thanks. I will deff need a cap reset on Monday but no point before. I now have 0.5 Mbps Downstream and 0.7 Mbps Upstream having disconnected to go into the test socket and change mains socket point for Modem Power supply now have 11.3MbpsDSL Down 0.963Mbps Up linespeed.

See you on Monday.

Mrg1981
Grafter

@rpaco I thought I would throw something in here as I'm amazed no one has suggested it. 

I had a similar issue with router reboots and line dropping, especially the upload being extremely poor (below dial up in some cases).

Have you tried plugging the router into the test socket (the one behind the front plate that the plate plugs into) of the master phone socket ? 

After doing this I found my line was better. BUT it revealed to me just how much dirt and [-Censored-] was inside my socket. 

After cleaning the connections contacts inside both the master socket and the face plate I haven't had any issues with my connection.

Cheap and simple fix I'm amazed none of the team have suggested.

EDIT- Should have probably mentioned what I used. Electrical contact cleaner (do not use WD-40) which is available from most hardware stores. You could also you an Isopropanol alcohol or even nail varnish remover. And use that on a cotton bud to gently rub the contacts with. May take a few goes.

rpaco
Grafter

@Merg1981

Yes I did all that as one of my first actions. I use Electrolube, which used to be called switch cleaner. I cleaned all contacts, changed filters, cables etc. The first engineer changed the master base plate and socket plate to a version with separate phone and DSL sockets. Though the new "test" socket is of the old type and needs a filter attached. (None of which made any difference.

We shall see after Monday.