cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One buzzing/hissing noise.

FIXED
Hedger

Hub One buzzing/hissing noise.

I've read a few posts on hear about the Hub One making hissing/buzzing noises.  I was watching a movie tonight using Now TV and had an intermittent buzz every few seconds which could be heard over the sound of the movie.

What is the procedure for requesting a new router as it is highly distracting.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Hub One buzzing/hissing noise.

Fix

Hi @Hedger,

I'm sorry that your router has developed an intermittent buzz. I've ordered you a replacement router and this will be with you within 3-5 working days. Please let us know if you experience any problems with the new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
P1Fanatic
Hooked

I have exactly the same problem with mine and its annoying as its in the lounge and my PC is right next to it. At first I thought it was a dodgy power supply so swapped it for a spare one I had from my previous BT Home Hub (which is identical to the Hub One and never made this sound) but made no difference. Even the wife has complained about it when watching TV and the router is the other end of the room (long lounge / dining room).

Seems from other posts this is a very common problem so I am surprised that Plusnet are still sending out defective (mine is only 6 weeks old).

If a new router is sent out is it just lucky dip whether you get another noisy one or is it checked prior to dispatch or against a list of affected serial numbers?

Regards

Simon

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Simon,

As you suggested (and I agree) it sounds like a faulty batch.

This is not the first post I've read on this.

If you still have it, then PM a member of staff your serial number. They should be able to replace it and may want the old one back.

I don't know if PlusNet's systems track the serial number of the routers they supply to customers and can detect a pattern of what ones are affected.

Hedger

Just like to say I've had the new router for a couple of weeks now and no issues with buzzing so thank you for that.  I'd had my old one for about a year before it started making the noise so hopefully the new one lasts a little longer.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @P1Fanatic, @Alex,

We currently have an indecent raised with regards to the hissing noise and already have enough examples to send to the manufacturer. Besides this, I'm afraid I have no further information to share.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
P1Fanatic
Hooked

Ok thanks. Whats the easiest way for me to arrange for a replacement router?
Alex
Community Veteran

Call CS or PM @Jubby with your personal details (account name should be fine, then PlusNet can look you up) who may pick up on this who appears to be working today.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @P1Fanatic ,

Thanks for your post.

As the router is still within its warranty I've just requested a replacement router and a returns bag for you which should be with you within the next 5 working days.

It's plug and play, so when it arrives simply connect it up and then go and make a cuppa whilst it does it's thing.

Within 15 minutes it should all be configured for you.

To make you aware though, there is a risk that the problem will persist with the new router in which case I'd recommend following the below, it may also help in the interim until the new router arrives:

How to disable the 5Ghz frequency that's causing the buzzing:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

P1Fanatic
Hooked

Thanks @OskarPapa. I will wait for the new router and see if its better. As for the workaround is that disabling 5ghz completly or just seperating so devices cant switch between 2.4 & 5ghz automatically?
Alex
Community Veteran

No @P1Fanatic

It is just splitting them into two different SSID's so you can decide which ones you want the devices you want to use. They're not going to change automatically on one.

I would give them different passwords and you can try each band to see if it makes any difference to your problem.

nnathani01

My router is doing the same. Intermittent hissing when watching movies. It's really very irritating.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @nnathani01

After discussing this issue with our products team we have been advised that after a number of routers had been returned to the manufacturers for testing a consensus was reached that the noise that people have reported coming from the router is within acceptable tolerances.

To expand slightly on this, we don't believe that the noise is indicative of any performance issues with the router and sending out a replacement wouldn't resolve this issue as the replacement is the same model of router so the buzzing noise would still be present.

One potential solution to stopping the buzzing noise that you're hearing is to split the wireless channels within the router and I've included a guide on how this can be done below. It should be noted however that this may sacrifice some wireless speed.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.
2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'
3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.
4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.
4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team