Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use ChangeIP Dynamic DNS with TG582n

millerc
Dabbler

How to use ChangeIP Dynamic DNS with TG582n

Hi everyone,
I have a ChangeIP dynamic dns account which I've now decided to make use of.  So I set about trying to get it to work.
After having some problems getting the Technicolor TG582n working with ChangeIP I wanted to provide a quick guide on how to do it and how I eventually got it working.
Mine is now working correctly and updating my dynamic dns hosts perfectly.
ChangeIP is not obviously in the list of predefined services in the 'Service' dropdown in the Dynamic DNS Service admin page in the router.
So the way to get ChangeIP to work is that we need to edit the configuration of the 'custom' item from the dropdown.  You can't just choose 'custom' and add the credentials etc as that does not work.
Unfortunately, the web interface does not have the functionality to allow us to change the configuration of the items in the list.  We therefore need to use the CLI via a Telnet session.
So all you need to do is login to the router using Telnet.
To do this from a Windows machine just open a command prompt and type in:
1. Telnet 192.168.1.254
2. Press enter.
3. Enter the username - this is usually admin by default. Press enter.
4. Enter the password for the routers admin account that you use to login to the router's web interface with and press enter.
You should now be in the CLI and the prompt should now look something like:
{admin}=>
You can now enter your commands.
Obviously use your IP address in step 1 if it's different to the default one above.
Once you've logged in you can simply execute this at the command line:
dyndns service modify name=custom server=nic.ChangeIP.com port=www-http request=/nic/update updateinterval=10800 retryinterval=30 max_retry=5
Then execute this:
saveall
If you now go into the dynamic dns page.  Click configure which should change the page into editing mode.
Now just do the following:
1. Tick the enabled box.
2. Fill in the username box with your ChangeIP username.
3. Fill in the password box with your ChangeIP password.  Fill in the password confirmation box with the same password.
4. Select 'custom' from the Service dropdown.
5. The 'host' textbox must have something typed into it.  You cannot leave this box empty unfortunately.  So fill out this box with the host entry that you want the dynamic dns service to update ie remoteaccess.domainname.com or ftp.domainname.com etc. However, I found that you can just type in *1 into the box and in your ChangeIP account then tick all your host entries as 'Set 1' and this *1 will tell ChangeIP to update all host entries in that set with the same IP address.
6. Now click apply.
I found that the page took a while to reload and eventually redirected to the Dynamic DNS Service status page.  If all has worked then you should see "*1 (Update successful)" next to the host label on that page.
You can double check that the ChangeIP account has been updated successfully with the right IP address by logging into the ChangeIP account.  Click on DNS Manager (on the right hand side of the page) and then click on the 'View Recent DDNS Updates' link.  That page will show you all the recent update attempts.
Hopefully this guide will help out someone in the future so that they don't have to go through the pain I had to go through with getting the settings and configuration exactly right for it to work.  I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Chris