Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell if customer on Max ADSL?

gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

How to tell if customer on Max ADSL?

I have a friend who is on PlusNet, he was on PAYG and now is on BBYW option 2. When I visited him to day I noticed that downloads were pretty slow. Looked at the DG834G stats and saw that it was syncing at 2272 with 29dB Noise Margin! - Line att is 27dB. Surely that can't be right.? I tried it in the BT test socket and still the same. Changed filter, no change.
The Uplink sync is 288.
Could that indicate that his line is not Max ADSL?  - His exchange has been enabled for Max ADSL.
I am going to take another router round some time and see if that makes any difference, but i can't understand why the sync is so low with 29dB noise margin?
Any thoughts?
10 REPLIES 10
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: How to tell if customer on Max ADSL?

Your friend is on a fixed rate 2Mbps product.
He can go to http://max.plus.net and request an upgrade for free
B.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks Barry! - I'll do that for him now  Cool
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

PN stopped doing automatic upgrades when they had problems with it. They then changed it to an opt-in upgrade and it looks like your friend never requested the upgrade (or may not of known PN changed how it was done).
gm4jjj
Rising Star

All sorted and he is getting sync at 8Mb now  Cool
James
Grafter

Smiley
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Since then I have got several other friends to also upgrade, they were all on fixed rates without knowing it.  Shocked
What is so irksome is that they all get much better sync rates than myself.  Basically my line is too long (approx 58dB atten, though some routers report 60dB)  Cry 
Now I'm located between the town with the exchange and a smallish village. I'm about 1.6Km as the crow flies, about 4Km according the old BT line length tester.
Are there any BT line engineers here? - I notice a green box down in the village that BT frequently open up, I assume that is where all the pairs from the exchange terminate from? - I'm guessing that the (underground) cable goes from the exchange all the way to the village green box and from there back up the same road to my premises. On the pavement outside the house is a BT manhole cover and my line must come from there under my garden to the front of the house entry point.
This was fine when I just wanted telephony, but the added line distance is killing my ADSL speed. Has anyone ever got BT to arrange a shorter line for them? - I'd probably save 2km at least if they tapped into the cable going past my house.
Next time I see the BT bloke at that green box I'm going to have a word.  Wink

Mand
Grafter

I'm in the same boat unfortunately, at the end of a very long line, with rubbish speeds. I have several family members who get excellent speeds and couldn't care less as they barely use the internet. It's a shocking waste! Cheesy
Regarding getting BT to put you on a shorter line it's very unlikely TBH.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I'm the IT bod within our extended family and friends and I have the slowest speed of the lot  - I just manage 2Mbs on a good day Undecided very unfair  Cry
I seem to recall several people in the past trying to get their line changed and all have failed as BT generally either can't reroute your connection or won't as there is nothing actually wrong as far as the voice line is concerned. Also in many cases you are already connected to the closest exchange anyway.
Until they start adding DSLAMS to the green boxes, we far away users have little hope of gaining more speed, even with ADSL2+.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just Come back from the Wild West coast of Scotland, they are lucky up there, every small area of Habitation has a small BT 'Shed', connected to the exchange by a Microwave link, got nearly 4M on my Archos 705 (Not really a pc) on and a connection in Appin  01631 post code PA38 4BD
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Indeed. I was up in the even wilder NW of Scotland (Assynt, Sutherland) a while back IV27 4JB and it was even faster there!