Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove errors registered on my line

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: How to remove errors registered on my line

Thanks Chris.
That shows it was loss of Wireless connection for some reason as your PPP session didn't drop.
Now it's possible that drops in wireless may be caused by outdated drivers or interference on the channel being used, so both avenues are worth checking out.
Steek
Grafter

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2019518782.png
Cant even play my Xbox at the minute.. nice!
I took this test when I was wired
Anotherone
Champion

Can you check the following - Current Line speed Login required; and
run the BT Speedtester (Diagnostic)
What are the current Noise Margin graphs like?
Steek
Grafter

Phone exchange:
    LURGAN
Estimated line speed:
    6Mb (This may vary between 5Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2012-05-25 23:52:51
Current line speed:
    37 Mb

No idea why it says 37mb. And I couldn't run the standard speed test so I ran the beta instead.
Anotherone
Champion

Oh well, the only thing that can limit your download speed at the moment then is your sync speed which is currently quite good and the errors on the line. I'll leave you to post the graphs and try and answer the queries in reply #88.
Also check out what is happening on the Wireless channel that you are currently using. There maybe someone else local to you using the same channel and that could be the cause of your losses of connection. You can change wireless settings without having to reboot the Billion.
Make sure your wireless is secure WPA2-PSK with a strong password that is not a dictionary word, a mix of letters, numbers and other characters.
Steek
Grafter

Yes it is possible that the other computer or laptop or the xbox was turned off the night before at 2300 and on yesterday at 1818 and off at 2233
Anotherone
Champion

OK, so check the Rx Noise Margin just before each of them are switched on and check it again once it's on, and then just to confirm check the Noise Margin just before each is turned off and again after each is off.
Steek
Grafter

Ok, all my stuff is off downstairs and the Rx noise margin is still 9.5 from 6 at 10:12pm. 1:06am at the minute and still the same, not too sure what it is that's causing it now.
Anotherone
Champion

Sometimes understanding what's happening is a difficult thing to grasp, the exact figures can be different for different lines with different conditions, but the principal is the same. Let me try and explain this way using a simplified explanation - the Noise Margin is the amount of gap between the Noise and the Signal, when the margin is higher, at the moment, in your case at 9dB, there is less noise present, when it drops to 6dB, there is more noise there. If it were to goto to 0 the signal would be severely corrupted by the noise usually to the point of causing a loss of connection and a resync.
When noise is present, it isn't necessarily something that is equally distributed across all the frequencies used by the broadband signal. It could be more severe at some frequencies which will cause corruption of some bits of data, this is seen as errors. Error correction causes the corrupted data to be retransmitted and it's such retransmission that can cause some lag and lower throughput speed.
I hope that's given you a clearer picture.
So when you switch something on that's generating a lot of noise the noise margin goes down, in this case from 9 to 6dB (approx). Correctly designed and functioning equipment shouldn't generate as much noise as appears to be happening here. Once you known where it's coming from, then steps can be taken to suppress, filter or perhaps repair the offending item. Sometimes just re-arranging where all the connecting leads are in relation to other leads can reduce or eliminate a problem - but not always.
I hope that explanation helps.
Steek
Grafter

Thanks for explaining it like that, I understand it a lot better now.
It is still around 9 but dropped to 6 again at around 6:55am to 7:05am (I kept it on all night this time)
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, keep an eye on it. It's always possible or even probable that a noise source may be external to you or something you haven't thought of yet. It best to specifically check the effects of your own setup first, so you know what is going on even if you can't easily do anything about it. It then becomes easier to spot other/external effects.
Steek
Grafter

My phone caused my Tx Noise Margin to go from 28 to 16.5 for a few seconds
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, I know you've tried another filter which would be the obvious suggestion. Do you hear any strange noises at anytime when using the phone?
Keep an ear on it, so to speak.
Steek
Grafter

I have just asked my mother who uses the phone more than myself. She has heard crackling/strange noises when on the phone but isn't sure whether its on our end or the other persons end. May have something to do with it.
Anotherone
Champion

Ask her if she's noticed that when speaking to different people, or is it always the same one?