cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get max speed?

Steevo
Grafter

How to get max speed?

My router is reading a data rate of 3354 downstream and 445 upstream, with a max rate of 3580 and 812. No matter what I do however, nothing anywhere will download quicker than 1.5-1.6mbps. Is there something wrong somewhere?
550 REPLIES 550
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: How to get max speed?

Can you run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Also check your Current Line speed (Login required) - don't post your phone number.
Steevo
Grafter

Current line speed:
    1.6 Mb
BTw results to follow,
Steevo
Grafter

Download  Speed
1.58 Mbps

0 Mbps 4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.58 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 2.96 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.27 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.27Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
Anotherone
Champion

Your Current Line Speed needs a kick by a member of CRT to match the BT IP Profile.
With a bit of luck they may do it soon Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Steevo (again),
Did the issue from earlier this month - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132355.msg1159342.html#msg1159342 - reach a satisfactory conclusion?
Until the line issues are fully resolved, looking at speed tests could be a bit futile.
I do not recall seeing the modem stats posted in the other thread, though at one point you did state that the attenuation was 64-68dB which is very high and would lead to a probable profile of around 1.5Mbps.
Can you please post your current router stats, so that we can confirm the line's behaviour?
...Anotherone managed to post whilst I was typing!!  Crazy  Setting aside my comments he has indicated that the PN systems have not yet received / applied the BT profile update.  When this does get applied, you will (should) see a drop in the PPP session.

@Mods - will you please give consideration to merging these threads so that there is clear visibility of how long Steevo's issue has been on-going and to keep the history all in one place?

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steevo
Grafter

Thanks Townman.
Regarding the earlier issues, these have still been ongoing. I had a BT Boost engineer visit last week, and the report came back today. According to PN no work was required and the line was deemed satisfactory. The engineer apparently recorded 2900kbps on his equipment, and PN told me therefore they thought it was my equipment at fault. The upstream SNR margin is still dropping when incoming calls are received which is most strange.
Since receiving this update I swapped the router back from the W8960N to the W8961ND router I had been using back before PN suggested I change my router during the troubleshooting process when the fault was initially started. Having swapped it back now I'm seeing lower loop loss, my router speed has boosted from 1900 to over 3000 and the connection seems stable.
I am rather mystified how much difference this router swap has made. Loop loss has dropped from 67 to nearer 60. Strangely also downstream SNR Margin has been all over the shop. Several weeks ago it was running at 9db fairly constantly. For the past 6 days or so it has been running at 6db fairly constantly, and since swapping the router today I'm seeing figures as low as 2! Furthermore, interleaving which was on at 8, did spike to 16 for a short period as I think I mentioned before when the previous (not latest) engineer visited, but soon reverted to 8 shortly after. Since the SNRM has been at 6db (i think a line reset must have taken place but nobody has told me!) interleaving has since been set to OFF.
Unfortunately the W8961ND doesn't support DSLStats however so I'm just reading the figures from the router's IP login.
All in all i'm thoroughly confused!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Steevo,
Sounds like the other issue is NOT resolved.
At this level I am no expert, but if the BB is still dropping on an inbound call, I cannot see how / why that is down to EU equipment.  Hopefully one of the other BS' (Jelv / ANotherone... etc) might have relevant experience.
variable loop loss figures can be related to how different routers calculate that figure, which is why we need to see PN CLT results - that will report both calculated and measured loop loss (attenuation) - to accurately assess if your line is running at the right speed.
IIRC your target had been moved to a 9dB SNRM target to mitigate the line dropping on in bound calls.  6dB would be the "normal" target.

@mods - given that the original issue does not appear to have been resolved, can you please merge these threads?
Thanks,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steevo
Grafter

According to PN my line has been much more stable. The connection does not seem to drop with every phone call (thought SNRM does). According to their VR data, I managed 5 days constantly connected last week, and was running on 2 days connected until I swapped the router today.
I'm not sure what else I can tell you really.  Undecided
Anotherone
Champion

Oh, they aren't making that mistake again are they. There will be no PPP loss showing on the VR if the loss is caused by upstream sync dropping, there's no change in IP address or Gateway.
Let me read through all your posts later and I'll post back.
btw RouterstatsLite will run with your TP link(s) http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstatslite
Steevo
Grafter

Thanks Anotherone! I've no idea what you just said but it sounded good! 🙂
Thanks for the RouterStats-Lite - will get that up and running!
Anotherone
Champion

Suggested ssetup -
Create a folder some where convenient - ideally in root (C:/) so there's no privilege issues. You can create another folder somewhere if you want to save the Captures and Log file in a different one.. Below is my suggested setup -
Do not click on the Start Arrow, bottom left, yet! But it ought to automatically open at the Setup tab the first time anyway. Maximise the RouterStats Window.
First go to the Setup tab, then the Router tab and select your modem/router.
The URL tab should show the path where you get the stats, tick the box for the full path.
On the Login tab, there should be a tick in the box 'Router requires you to login'
The Username will show the default one, which you may have changed (admin for the 582n).
The password may be a default one (unless changed by you) or the one provided with the router originally - note, this is not your broadband password.
On the Graph tab, initially, leave ticks in the Adjust axis automatically boxes, you may want to alter the settings later. Tick Noise Margin Vertical Axis 'Plot average value of previous 50 points', but not the Connection Speed average. Remember to click Apply on any you change.
In the Sample Interval box choose 'Sample router every 10 seconds' and 'Points per page 720'
Next, go to the Capture tab. Define the folder where you want to save the Captured graphs, this could be the folder where you've installed RSL or another of your choice. Tick 'Capture noise margin graph images', also tick 'Capture part-graphs when RouterStats-Lite closes'. Tick the other two graphs if you wish. I'd tick the sync speed in the current situation.
Go to the Log tab, type the filename you want for the log, e.g. RSLite.txt & then browse to the folder you want to save it in, suggest the same as the graphs, when selected, the full pathname will appear in the box. Comma separated values is selected by default, and log every 1 sample.
Nothing to change on the Appearance tab.
On the System tab, tick 'Minimise to system tray', 'Prompt before closing', 'Show noise margin on tray icon' & 'Show tooltip hints'. If you want the Ping plotter, tick that as well. On the PIng tab you need to specify the IP address to ping - try 212.159.13.49 - one of Plusnet's ntp servers.
You can now go to the Noise Margin tab and click on the green Start button. You should see a Green Camera icon on the LHS showing capture is active.
If you  right click on the graph, the drop down menu shows a tick against Capture. You will also see some other handy options you can use at any time.
There is a minor bug in the last 2 versions where the ping is not being Captured automatically, so if you want one, do a right click Capture now.
Maximise the RouterStats window before Minimising it to the Tray. This ensures captures are at the full screen size showing the most detail (as far as the SNRM is concerned).
HTH.
Anotherone
Champion

Just looking at your current stats you could change the following -
On the Graph tab, untick the Adjust axis automatically boxes (you may want to alter the settings later again) For the Noise Margin, set the Maximum to 12 and the Minimum to 0. For the Connection Speed set the maximum to 5000, minimum to 0. Click apply in each box.
btw, everytime you change configuration, it saves all the graphs selected (except ping) ie blank ones when RSL is not running, so check and delete any. When you are up and running when there is no sync speed changes/drops, no point in keeping speed graphs that are just constant flat. Dlete after checking, only takes up disk space.
Steevo
Grafter

Thanks Anotherone, some great guidance there. Talked me through the setup perfectly.
Steevo
Grafter

First screenshot. SNRM seems very low, certainly compared to what i'm used to.