cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect via ethernet?

Havel
Grafter

How to connect via ethernet?

The wireless signal on the Plusnet router is rubbish, so I bought an ethernet cable. I've plugged in the cable and the ethernet light is green but the computer does nothing, it still connects via wireless. How do I stop connecting via wireless and use the cable instead?
4 REPLIES 4
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How to connect via ethernet?

Check the network adapter is set for DHCP and turning off the wireless adapter should do it...
Havel
Grafter

How do I check the network adapter is set for DHCP?
Never mind, I got it working. My speeds have gone up from 0.50mbps to 2.68. I had to install a LAN driver from the motherboard manfacturer's homepage.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Assuming you're on Windows 7, follow this guide as far as step 6: http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_windows7.shtml
Once you get there, just check that the options selected are 'obtain IP address automatically' and 'obtain DNS server address automatically' - if they are, your adapter is configured to use DHCP Smiley
Hope that helps.
Havel
Grafter

Thanks, both of you. I got it sorted in the end. Not sure why but the drivers for my LAN weren't installed. I should add that my low line speed isn't Plusnet's fault, it's always been like that.