cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's your upload speed? (presales pondering)

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: How's your upload speed? (presales pondering)

Have you considered splashing out an extra £6 per month and investigating fibre availability? If upload speed is important to you then you're never going to get much in the way of performance on an up to 1Mbps service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

The theoretical maximum upload speed of an ADSL2+ connection is around 1.2Mbps - for what it's worth I usually get around 1.1Mbps upload sync (11Mbps download sync) on a 38dB downstream attenuation, although my connection is a bit error-ridden at those sync speeds and sometimes resyncs at more like 10Mbps/.09-1Mbps. (down/up.)

That's pretty good for the attenuation really, but apart from the fact your speeds could be better or worse than mine even if your attenuation is similar, as others have mentioned, if somewhere around 1Mbps upload is nowhere near good enough for your intended usage, you need to at least investigate the possibility of Fibre, as @Baldrick1 has suggested.

richi
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Yes, the max sync for ADSL2+ annex A is 24 Mb/s down and 1.2 Mb/s up. The regulators won't let ISPs claim the full speed any longer, which is why that gets quoted as "up to" 17/1.

I sync at around 15 down and 1.15 up (3 km long rural line, albeit good quality copper with low interference).

Because the buckets used for the uplink are at lower frequencies than the ones for downlink, it's normal to get close to 1 Mb/s or above, unless your line is really long or is poor quality.

As for Plusnet's network, once you allow 10-15% for overheads, I've never had a problem uploading at full speed (e.g., uploading YouTube videos, online backup or DropBox).

What does the BT Wholesale checker give for downlink speed at your address? Knowing that should help us give you a better idea of uplink sync.

Jack2359
Hooked

<code> No, we don't restrict or limit throughput and as of about this time last year we removed our traffic prioritisation policy though that didn't used to restrict speeds, but more prioritise bandwidth within your home network.  </code>

That is reassuring, thanks.  

I might be a bit over-sensitive, as I currently get little more than 150Kb/s on a service that was advertised as "upto 1Mb/s" (4G Mobile data, not ADSL), so I'm keen to avoid falling into the same trap again.

I don't need majorly high speeds (I just want to back-up my old photos to the cloud in something less than four months!).  I'd be happy-enough with 600-800Kb/s.  My 150Kb/s sucks Sad

The postcode tool says I'd get 6.5-15Mb/s download (similar to the numbers I gave in the original post), so I guess I will probably be OK on upload speed.  It is reassuring to learn that Plusnet doesn't have any specific policy which would throttle upload speed as my current (4G mobile) ISP seems to.  

thanks

richi
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Even if you only got 6.5 Mb/s down, I should think you'd get at least 600 Kb/s up, and wouldn't be surprised if you got 1 Mb/s.

3G and 4G are a nightmare of variable congestion, weird priority schemes, and opaque throttling.