Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is a 'short time' - Homepages maintenance

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How long is a 'short time' - Homepages maintenance

Quote from: Chris
Really wouldn't do us any favours to lie about the size of the issue, we've been open and honest all the way through this problem and will continue to be in future.

So watt is the numbers then?
If you have nothing to hide put some numbers to it!
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
my comment about PlusNet offering some recompense to a lot of very angry and frustrated customers

I can certainly understand the frustration and we can look into recompense on a case by case basis as required. However I'm not sure that 2 days downtime on a residential accounts webspace would account for a few months free connection.

I appreciate that the information has been forthcoming but perhaps increased webspace storage or a couple of GB useage could be allocated to those affected? Just a couple of ideas which shouldn't cost PN a huge amount and would show goodwill.
Most importantly of course the sites look to have been recovered which is the main thing but the frustration caused may well be eased by the above or similar?
What does everyone think?
Mark
Grafter

If you have nothing to hide put some numbers to it!

I think Phil put it at 0 (Nil) and that is exactly right.
I appreciate that the information has been forthcoming but perhaps increased webspace storage or a couple of GB useage could be allocated to those affected?

We have turned off usage limitations for customers who have reuploaded websites as a result of this incident.
We wil be more than happy to look at each incident, on a case by case basis, where the re uploading of their website has caused bandwidth usage.
Where we are right now would indicate that very few customers have been impacted by this and very few have had to re upload content to their webspace, as we have been able to do that for them.
Where customers have had to upload content, thus increasing their normal usage, we will happily look at this and react accordingly.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: Mark
I think Phil put it at 0 (Nil) and that is exactly right.

So your not open and onest.  Angry  Angry  Angry
prichardson
Grafter

I suspect we are unsure what you mean then.
Maybe you can clarify your question about putting a figure out there.
The honest answer based on the subject at hand is 0, but I can see you have contested this twice without expanding.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Perhaps Gary meant how many users websites were affected not how many won't have the problem solved
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Bingo, Oldjim you got it in one, so why kant PlusNet get it in one?
Mark
Grafter

Gary I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to get at and perhaps we are being a bit dim but the initial problem affected all customers with websites (it was our web platform which suffered the failure).
By the end of this weekend we will have resolved the problem for all customers.
Is that what you're after?

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

So watt you meen is all customers from F9 or was customers from metronet & free online affected as well as F9.
PlusNet customers was not affected by this!
You are still not bean open and onest.  Angry
Mark
Grafter

I am being absolutely honest Gary.
Our webservers suffered a failure on Wednesday which affected all customers websites, irrespective of visp.
Working on the premise that we have @215k adsl customers and a few thousand dial customers and surmising that half of them have websites (dont have access to the figures right now) then somewhere over 100k websites were hit by this outage.
Our genius's in networks worked their magic and recovered all our customer websites and by the end of this weekend we will have restored all of them.
Hopefully thats answered your query. Smiley

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

To add to that I've just been chatting to Josh and the migration is now 95% complete. It should be finished within the next couple of hours.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

You are still not bean open and onest or you are misinformed. 
I know because  I am on PlusNet as well as F9 and my PlusNet web site was not affected.    Cheesy
Mark
Grafter

Gary I'm sorry but they were. I wish no-one had been affected at all but thats not how it was.
pwebb
Grafter

Quote from: Mark

Gary I'm sorry but they were. I wish no-one had been affected at all but thats not how it was.

Ok, I've not got actual figures of how many were impacted by the failure. However what I can say is the following:
1) We have the web storage split into 2 volumes. Only the 1 of the volumes had any issues.
2) A large number of customers will not have noticed any issues as we migrated or restored the data so quickly
3) A small number of customers will only have had their sites restored yesterday or today.
4) This affected customers on multiple VISPs including both Force9 and Plusnet.
Phil

prichardson
Grafter

Gary,
Images on our blog posts are stored on one of our accounts, using the included webspace.
This is a PlusNet VISP account and was impacted by this.
I understand there was a report of the missing images on the forums.
If anything, PlusNet customers were the most affected by this, but this is purely based on numbers and the fact there are more on PlusNet as a VISP than the others, proportionally, the were equal.