cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for IP profile to increase after large re-sync change?

Hobbit
Dabbler

How long for IP profile to increase after large re-sync change?

For some reason my line decided to resync to a very low speed (around 384 kbps) while I was away over the weekend.
Upon my return I noticed this and re-booted my router. My line has now resynched to 3360 kbps and has been like that for around 5hrs.
My understanding from Kitz web site is that large changes in sync speeds are corrected within 4 - 6 hrs as opposed to the normal 72 hrs for small changes? Spoke to support but they argue that it is the same for all speed sync changes regardless of the size of change between old and new speeds?
Can someone confirm what the correct information is please.
If I have to wait 3 days because of a blip in my line this seems a bit harsh, especially as the reductions when a line re-syncs to a lower speed is changed with 75 mins. A little one sided it appears!
Also seems to take a while for Plusnet to note a change in my profile as the reductions have not yet been reflected on the web site - my profile still showing at 2500
For info using the BT speedtester my stats at present are:
DSL connection rate - 3360 kbps (Downstream) 448 kbps (up-stream)
IP profile for line - 250 kbps
Actual output achieved during the test - 199 kbps
First time this has happened to me so assume that something happened at the exchange or elswhere to cause the sudden drop?
10 REPLIES 10
scootie
Grafter

Re: How long for IP profile to increase after large re-sync change?

not sure on percentage but i think it's 150% increase in sync is when you should see the speedy increase in your profile.
should be in under 24hours then you have to put on the upto 12 hours it can take for PN to get an update on your BT profile before you would see it in throughput speed
Hobbit
Dabbler

Cheers for the info. Will wait and see what happens but suspect it will be the 72 hrs as forecast by Plusnet.
Was advised by support to use the http://faults.plusnet page to report the 'fault'
Tried this and ran all checks as requested - final result was as noted below!!
Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]
The Connection checks could not be completed
Test result summary: Inconclusive
We have not been able to complete the checks of your broadband service. This may be the result of a fault in the testing system rather than your service.

I will wait with baited breath for more developments from wonderful Plusnet support.
Customer since 2003 and hardly had any problems, yet when something happens that requires some decent human input I get just vague info and electronic feedback from an automated service from Plusnet..
Hopefully leaving a few more days it will sort itself out as BT's automated service will do all that is required without any input from Plusnet.
scootie
Grafter

cs agent may or may not know about the speedy increase setting for bras profile or they do know and are just making sure that your not disapponited at PN
thats my view of what would be best to say better to say 72 hours and it increase in 12 hours than say 12 hours and it ends up being 72 hours due to any problems with BT's amazingly stupid systems
Hobbit
Dabbler

Yes you are probably correct.
I did challenge the CS agent but got absolutely no-where. Asked for someone else but was fobbed off with the "they will only tell you the same thing" answer.
Looks like a waste of my time even bothering with support in this instance, will just wait for the crazy Plusnet / BT system to resolve itself.
Thanks for your input Smiley
Hobbit
Dabbler

Well looks like Kitz web page was correct. A large change in sync speeds does make BT change your profile within the 4-6 hrs time frame as stated.
My IP profile has now gone back up to 2500 kbps according the BT broadband speedtester page.
Actual IP throughput achieved is a miserable 121 kbps - guess will have to wait for Plusnet to catch up with updating my profile!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The agent was probably only thinking about the PN update to match the BT setting, which can take upto 12hrs after BT (it's done twice a day) however quick the BT one changes, which can be hours for large % increases.
Limited agent knowledge I'd say Roll_eyes
You should be updated and all back to normal by now.
James
Grafter

Hi Hobbit,
I've just checked your account and it's showing that your profiled speed at our end has caught up to 2500Kbps.
I hope that everything is now working fine for you.
Hobbit
Dabbler

Hi James,
Yes all working Ok again now. Plusnet caught up with the speed increase late last night so was fairly quick in the end.
Just a bit annoyed at the orginal CS response over the phone but guess you cannot know everything.
A shame I had to rely on Kitz web site for the correct information!
Will leave my comments in the feedback form
Thanks.
James
Grafter

There's also what I wrote a while back Smiley
link:speed
And our own guide on IPStream Max:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/dslmax_guide.shtml
scootie
Grafter

cant wait to see your updated version for adsl2+ . theres going to be a few if an buts in that DLM guide  Grin