cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How good is BTW's database ?

oldgeezer
Grafter

How good is BTW's database ?

I watched the FTTC equipment being installed by our neighbourhood BT cabinet about 6 months ago and the team installed a lot of fibre and copper in the ducts down our road. The cabinet has been humming away for months now.
BT & Plusnet's sites tell me that FTTC is not available. The cabinet number is 18 and the exchange Ranmoor. Some-one with access to the BTdatabase information has told me that I am connected to cabinet 8. I have toured the entire neighbourhood noting the numbers of all the cabinets and there doesn't seem to be a number 8.
I pass the number 18 cabinet on a several times daily basis and I have never seen a BT engineer working on it since it was commissioned.
Has BTW missed a 1 off on it's database and are we connected to the local box 18. This would explain why there doesn't seem to be any take-up on our estate. If the database tells people they cannot get it then they wont.
I wouldn't want to take up FTTC straight away but it would be nice to know if it will be available when I do.
Is there anybody in a position to find out or perhaps tell me where the fugitive No. 8 cabinet is lurking in order that I can watch for the appearance of a digital twin.
oldgeezer
Postscript.
I've now found the database myself and it appears that cabinet 8 does exist and I now know that cabinet 18 doesn't serve our side of the main road. I now have to explore a much smaller area served by cabinet 8 until I find it.
I've tried Google Streetview with no result 'so it's down to a slow speed explore in my 8/4 mph mobility chariot.
oldgeezer
5 REPLIES 5
oldgeezer
Grafter

Re: How good is BTW's database ?

I've found the cabinet !, or rather some kind person on another forum has found it for me. It's located in leafy Carsick Hill about two thirds of the way back to the exchange. I suppose back in the early sixties when the estate was built some bod who worked for Post Office Telephones thought it would be a good idea to utilise some spare capacity in that cabinet. Still he wasn't to know what would be required in fifty years time.
I think that means that several hundred houses on the estate will be denied high speed access (at least 2 km to the cabinet),  although I would have thought it would be a relatively simple job to site an additional cabinet with it's mate somewhere near where  the cable/s come on to the estate.
oldgeezer.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

although I would have thought it would be a relatively simple job to site an additional cabinet with it's mate somewhere near where  the cable/s come on to the estate.

Agreed, as you probably know certain trigger numbers for demand need to be met before plans to implement fibre will even be made. Being familiar with the area I don't think all of it would be highly populated enough to push fibre to it's entirety.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
oldgeezer
Grafter

The area in question is the private estate built between Crimicar Lane and Blackbrook Road. I would have thought that there would be a substantial take-up of broadband in the hundreds of houses on the estate. Using inSSider I can see about 15 Wi-Fi channels in use in the immediate vicinity of our home. Being about 3/3.5 km distant from the exchange the ADSL signal isn't great.
I hope that some-one at BT will eventually realise that there is an untapped market to exploit.
I live in hope,          (actually if I lived in Hope I wouldn't even be able to get ADSL2+)
oldgeezer
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI oldgeezer,
I've been doing a little searching and not having much luck finding out about your cabinet. I'll ask around some more about how you can find out, but don't hold your breath, as I'm not sure if I'll be able to find out. One thing I can say for certain is that many cabs are hidden underground, so you wouldn't see them anyway.
Jojo Smiley
oldgeezer
Grafter

Thank-you for that Jo-Jo, but I'm sure that I've identified the right cabinet. People on other forums have pointed me at an un-official download of a BT document that ties postcodes to cabinet numbers. It's in the form of a Google Fusion Document (whatever that is  :)).
All the postcodes on the estate are shown as being connected to box 8. This box also serves the area around it's location at the top of Tom Lane/Pitchford Lane. The problem being that it's about 2 kilometres from our estate.
No problem at the moment as thanks to your good offices I'm getting a more than reasonable ADSL2+ speed, if we get left behind in the future though, it will be a pity.
With something like 250 houses on the estate, mostly occupied by people that you would think have a high demand for broadband, I think it likely that BT will eventually get round to a solution.
Regards
Oldgeezer