cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How frequently does your line drop ?

eugeneg
Grafter

How frequently does your line drop ?

I have just examined the log file on my router and see that in the last three weeks I have lost synchronization 37 times.  Approximately every 13 hours on average.
Am I normal ?
18 REPLIES 18
James
Grafter

Re: How frequently does your line drop ?

Not normal, but not outrageous.
With Broadband you will experience the occasional drop, but not that often.  Generally with an intermittent fault, you would expect to see multiple drops on a daily basis.
Is it inconveniencing you?
eugeneg
Grafter

Well worse things have happened, but it is a bit of a nuisance when it happens half
way through a long post on a web form when I forget to copy the text before clicking the submit button.
James
Grafter

If it is being a bit of a pain, then by all means raise it via http://faults.plus.net and then we'll be able to look into the fault for you.
Make sure you provide some information about how often it drops though. Might also be an idea to see if something else is happening at the same time, such as hot water going on, street lighting and so on.
lingbob
Grafter

I too suffer from regular re-sync's but not at the same time each day and it's very intermittent. It usually happens late evening or during the night. A favourite time seems to be around 4am. Although it's not causing me any inconvenience, I decided to go through the fault tester and I got to the very end where further tests need to be carried out and then spotted the blurb about disabling firewalls. Errrrrrrrm, isn't that asking for trouble?
Regards .....
James
Grafter

That's not really applicable to an intermittent sync issue.
eugeneg
Grafter

Ok - we have established that I am not normal, but I am still unsure what a normal period of time before an automated break in the line and possible speed change is.  Does it happen even when average packet drops is 'on target' ? 
Will
Grafter

Mine hasn't dropped since I been with PN (altho that's only a week and a half).
Not applicable

Is this a record? I have had BB with Force 9 now for almost a year and it hasn't dropped once. Only on two occasions have I been unable to connect, and the causes were both identified and dealt with within 30 minutes.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

It all depends on the line, the router, the weather and a thousand other factors. Some lines will drop sync more than others, some will drop once or twice a day, others once a year. The only times my line drops is when I reboot the router or when Comms Cat decides to attack the router (she's unplugged it a couple of times), but I do live only a few hundred metres from my exchange.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dotjay

An interesting question to have answered may be "What is likely to cause a change to the normal behaviour of my broadband line?" Or "What may change the frequency of dropped connections on my line?"
My current situation: I've moved to a PlusNet Teleworker package with a new BT Voyager router. I used to have my router at the third node of a rather long phone line extension that meant I could have an upstairs network. I've now moved the router downstairs to the main BT socket and there's a wireless bridge to the small upstairs network.
My ADSL connection has been dropping several times a day just lately. However, I cannot track down whether this is a problem with my new broadband account or the fact that I have moved the router downstairs. I don't think there's a problem with the router itself, as it was working fine before I actually switched account towards the end of August. And I cannot understand how moving the router closer to the main BT socket could do anything but improve the connection. I guess I should go raise a ticket... Smiley
shinglefarm

My connection is dropping every 10-20 minuites at the moment. I have tried upgrading the routers firmware, swapping the router over with an ADSL modem i had lying around, different filters, disconnecting everything and only have the router plugged in. I've even dont a quite line test and cant get any improvement.
PlusNet support couldnt find anything wrong, but then how could they unless they ran their test just as my router dropped and before it reconnected as other than the fact my routers connection keeps dropping my broadband is fine.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
The Faults Guys aren't actually saying that there isn't a problem.  They're saying that the line tests that they have run aren't showing a specific problem, although you're obviously suffering from disconnections.  They've said that if you still have an issue, they'll raise it with BT for you.
I'll pick up on that ticket now for you.
shinglefarm

Thank you for picking this up for me. I've updated the ticket with absolutley everything i've tried and a few extra bits of info that may or may not be usuful.
Quote from: James
Hi there,
The Faults Guys aren't actually saying that there isn't a problem.  They're saying that the line tests that they have run aren't showing a specific problem, although you're obviously suffering from disconnections.  They've said that if you still have an issue, they'll raise it with BT for you.
I'll pick up on that ticket now for you.
James
Grafter

As mentioned, this is now with BT for you Smiley