cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you change the IP address on a technicolor gateway?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: How do you change the IP address on a technicolor gateway?

Quote from: lizc
I did the first step you suggested but there was no LAN_custom field. I've rebooted the router but can't get any access or internet.

I'm afraid that was the consequence of adjusting one thing without  adjusting the other.  The router hands out a pool of IP addresses to the devices you connect to it by a process known as DHCP.  If you change the router IP address to 192.168.2.254 and leave the the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 then the pool of IP address must match and be somewhere in the range 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.253 .  I don't have a Technicolor router myself so cannot tell you exactly where to find the setting you need.  Is there any mention of DHCP in the settings?  
lizc

These are the settings back to default....
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When you said you were locked out of the router after making the changes were you trying to access it using 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.2.154? (it should have been the latter).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lizc

I tried both and couldn't access either way.
taras
Grafter

@ReedRichards sorry (due to lack of reading up on subnet masks) i didn't release the the subnet mask needed changing  when you go from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.2.254
the dhcp pool settings are like this .
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

So Start Address, End Address, Server and Gateway all need to be changed from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x  If the setting you used to change the IP address of the router is somewhere else then change that as well.  Then Apply the settings.  Then restart your computer.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This also may be of some use http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=106758.0
If you are going to play around with your modem/routers configuration and restart like this repeatedly (and at any time you want to reboot/resync) can I suggest you adopt the following method -
Whilst you are experimenting, or even at any time you want to reboot/resync, I suggest you use this method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (with the line disconnected - during this time alter the modem/router configuration, you can reboot as may times as you like offline to make sure your changes have stuck, also swap any filters, or the modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again & connect to the line (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you resync no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection with the possible consequences of a raised Target SNRM or a banded connection..
Also note you can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
GJEllis

Angry
I've just finished setting up my new router, for the third time (it seems to want to reset/reboot itself whenever it wants while I'm accessing it -- it's only stable when I'm /not/ logged in trying to manage it).  I've on the verge of throwing it away and experimenting to see if I persuade my old Orange Livebox to connect to PlusNet's service...
All I need to do right now, like so many other people, is change the default IP and subnet.  I have a bridge on my network (not providing DHCP) fixed on 192.168.0.254.  The simplest way is normally to set the subnet of my new router to 255.255.0.0 and leave everything else as is.  The management page say this has been set ("192.168.1.254/16") and I can confirm this by Editing the setting again and see that it presents me with the correct subnet mask.  But it still farms out 255.255.255.0 via DHCP however many times I renew my lease, even after rebooting the router.  Also there is no way to edit the default DHCP ranges!  I can only add new ones.  So I can't check to see if the default Leased and Static address pools have an inappropriate subnet mask defined for them.
This just demonstrates bad programming in my view: too much time has been spent trying to make the front end look "pretty" (somewhat inappropriately for a simple router, making it look inviting for non-technical people to think they can tweak anything with impunity rather than make them realize they should only be looking at the the "main page" to set their login details) and as a result the genuinely useful technicalities are not properly available to be managed  Sad  For instance, why oh why is it so Javascript heavy that I struggle to navigate the pages by keyboard and even on the login page have to <Tab> down to the OK button before I can hit <CR>?!?
Sorry, pointless rant there.  I still need to correctly configure DHCP.  It seems broken to me, but if anyone knows how to "open up" the interface configuration page to edit (or even just view!) the built-in DHCP pools (specifically "LAN_private") to attempt to fix the subnet mask that it is broadcasting, I'll be most grateful for the hint...
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If you save the configuration settings, do you get a text file (.ini) or binary? If it is a text file and you feel confident, then edit a copy of the file (so you can recover if you make a mistake) and load it.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@GJEllis
IIRC reply #6 is what I did, except the DHCP pool was LAN_private, but I tried just now and couldn't get to edit the DHCP pool  Embarrassed
Haydon
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PeeGee
If you save the configuration settings, do you get a text file (.ini) or binary? If it is a text file and you feel confident, then edit a copy of the file (so you can recover if you make a mistake) and load it.

This is a good method. Just make all the changes you need to the file (save under a new name), then load the new configuration. The router will reboot, and you're away.
I did this with my Technicolor 582n. Just be aware it takes a few minutes for the router to initialise everything after a reboot.
In the ini file, just search for the text "192." and make the necessary changes, not forgetting the subnet mask may need tweaking also.
I found the relevant sections are headed "ip.ini", "dhcs.ini" and "dhcr.ini".
If it all goes pear-shaped, just do a hard reset.