cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up modem to use opendns servers?

BobaDobbs

How do I set up modem to use opendns servers?

Can't do it through the control panel. Can I do something through terminal on Mac OS X?
5 REPLIES 5
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: How do I set up modem to use opendns servers?

See this site for telnet commands for the PlusNet modem (just run telnet 192.168.1.254 within teminal.app then the commands listed).
That's RPM to you!!
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I've previously found OpenDNS to be slightly faster and more stable than my previous 2 ISP's and would be interested if there was any benefit.
Currently going through the fault procedure due to random make and break connections so I'll stay put for the time being.
Let's be careful out there !
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: RPMozley
See this site for telnet commands for the PlusNet modem (just run telnet 192.168.1.254 within teminal.app then the commands listed).

I've been meaning to get to this. I tried it some time ago and had a problem. The PN servers are still listed in the interface, so I checked again via telnet to find the OpenDNS servers were listed alone, but differently to how the PN servers are listed. PN's servers are listed as 'D', whereas OpenDNS get listed after that guide as 'S'. The difference isn't explained, so thinking something wasn't right I reset my router.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not sure about the D and S but it sounds as though they are Dyanmic and Static. Our DNS servers should be picked up automatically from the 4 different IP addresses we have.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Razer
Grafter

Ah, that would seem logical. It doesn't explain why they were still listed via the web interface, however. I'll have to try it again and see what happens this time.