cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I look at my usage for earlier this week (in previous billing period)

Santiago
Grafter

How do I look at my usage for earlier this week (in previous billing period)

I am trying to encourage my son to be more considerate in his internet activity.
We have been checking the view my usage tool regularly to make him aware of what he is using.
Today is the first day of the new billing period and it seems I am not able to look back at details of daily use for earlier this week, or am I?
22 REPLIES 22
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: How do I look at my usage for earlier this week (in previous billing period)

You can't.
You might want to cast a vote for http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=268
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Re: How do I look at my usage for earlier this week (in previous billing period)

Santiago,
If you ask me nicely I can get a breakdown of your daily usage for you.  But I can't distinguish between the traffic types.
Santiago
Grafter

Yes please Jameseh, he said asking nicely.
If you could get me daily totals for Sun to Wed this week, that  would be very helpful, Thanks
I could kick myself really because I meant to check it ast night before the billing period ended and I forgot
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

There`s a nice little program called    Netmeter    that is free, and you can download it.... you can have a little square on the screen, which shows the "real time" usage for uploading and downloading.... (you can also get rid of it by the X in top r/h corner.... and activate it by the icon in the tray on the bottom)
Might be useful !
James
Grafter

James is also free of charge for users of this forum Cheesy
Santiago
Grafter

@ shutter
Thanks for that. I had seen Net meter recommended on here so I installed it on my son's machine and on mine.
Mysteriously Netmeter on his machine keeps resetting the totals to zero  Angry but on mine it works fine!
One thing I have noticed with netmeter is that it seems to record data transfers between networked machines. That would mean the totals for me would include internet use and data transfer.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
James is also free of charge for users of this forum Cheesy

Roll_eyes
No... I.... won't.... say.... it.......
B.
James
Grafter

You can be quiet and all, Mr. Floating Head.
shutter
Community Veteran

Mysteriously Netmeter on his machine keeps resetting the totals to zero   but on mine it works fine!

Don`t know why that is,  unless he has found out how to do it ! ! !  Undecided  that way, he can claim "I didn`t use that much.... look at my netmeter !"   Roll_eyes  Roll_eyes
Perhaps you could find a "similar" prog, that is "stealthy", and only you know where you put it..... If it asks for an icon on the desktop during  setup, then check it to say "no icon on desktop". and hopefully, he will not notice it on the system tray.... (leave the Netmeter on the desktop, and he will think that is all there is to worry about.. 
......................until...................... Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin
Santiago
Grafter

Oh he knows how to do it, but claims he never touches it!
It would be nice to have something I could run on my machine to keep a check on him.
I have been using the VMBU to try and encourage him to stay within a daily household limit.
When I was giving grief out about us going to the limit on monthly usage, he used to say it's not me it's my sister etc. So I disconnected him for a week (punishment).
When I reviewed the use for that week it had gone down by 75%!
Now he is being somewhat more considerate, shall we say.
Undecided
zubel
Community Veteran

Santiago - I was recently experimenting with an IP accounting system based upon Smoothwall and the Bandwidthd daemon which would give graphs and reports like this:

Unfortunately though, it requires a dedicated machine and a bit of a network reconfiguration and probably isn't suitable for home use (unless you're incredibly geeky like me ;))
B.
shutter
Community Veteran

I have been googling around, and came up with this site.....
Looks to be similar to what I advised in my last post..... (just a icon in the tray)
http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/article.asp?id=broadband-download-monitor&kt=373&gclid=CKTFm4Dq0JI...
Thats a long URL..... but it points to a page that has  "Broadband Download Monitor"  which is FREE (my favourite type of software..... Roll_eyes
You have to "register" first, then when you have your password, you can download it....
Good luck.... let us know  if it is any use ! Wink
Santiago
Grafter

@Barry
Yes you are right, bit too tech for me Embarrassed Thanks for the idea though
Also my son's machine is not on my home network (I just thought it was simpler that way!)
The trick with this is for him to know he is being managed. For example I have blocked YouTube during peak time using a scheduled block on my netgear router. He got used to that after a few days. I am going to see what else I can set up on the router.
@shutter
Ok thanks I will have a look at that and let you know
zubel
Community Veteran

Actually, there has to be some mileage in a pre-configured IP accounting platform at the right price..
hmm...
/e bimbles off to have a think.
B.