SamP
Grafter

How do I get a better line?

I'm stuck on an old fixed rate 1mb service - thanks to my lousy line 
ADSL Link             Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation   60.0 db   31.5 db
Noise Margin         8.9 db       21.0 db
No, I don't live in the back of beyond, I'm less than 500 metres from the exchange.
I've tried connecting to the test socket, without any significant improvement over those numbers.
I would like to shift over onto ADSL Max, but I think it's pointless without an improvement in line quality.  Am I correct in that assumption?
Is there any practical way of getting BTW to sort out my line?
The line's audio quality is fine - so I can't use that as a way of forcing them to act.
All help & advice sought.
BobH
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: How do I get a better line?

Quote from: SamP
Am I correct in that assumption?
NO!
If the figures are correct you COULD get over 2mbps.
I would ask PN if they would switch you on the understanding that you can revert if it is bad.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Even though you may be 500M from the exchange, your line may actually take a much longer route to it.
However, it may actually be worth raising a line fault and see if BT can actually find out your line length and thus whether you should be getting a better signal than you are. If you line is actually only 500M then there is a problem which needs to be fixed. Moving to someone like B may not actually solve the problem if the fault is between you and the exchange.
Try raising a ticket and asking.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Oooops, my horrible error, resulting from being in 2 Forums on 2 different ISP's at the same time!  Embarrassed
I meant to say ask PN!
(original post corrected - sorry)  Crazy
SamP
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: SamP
Am I correct in that assumption?
NO!
If the figures are correct you COULD get over 2mbps.

Is that valid?
The (downstream) noise margin on my fixed rate line is less than 9dB, & on a poor day that can drop to 6dB - so I can't quite believe that there is enough headroom there to double the line rate.
Or am I looking at the wrong figures?
SamP
SamP
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Even though you may be 500M from the exchange, your line may actually take a much longer route to it.
However, it may actually be worth raising a line fault and see if BT can actually find out your line length and thus whether you should be getting a better signal than you are. If you line is actually only 500M then there is a problem which needs to be fixed. Moving to someone like B may not actually solve the problem if the fault is between you and the exchange.
Try raising a ticket and asking.

The line length will be greater than the line-of-sight distance figure I quoted (to be more accurate the exchange is about 380 metres away).
Given the road layout, I would guess the line length to be 3 times that distance, but even if the line length was 10 times the LOS distance, I should still get better results.
In the past, I've been told that BT will only take action if ...
a) the audio quality of the line is unacceptable or
b) one cannot get a broadband connection at all.
Is my understanding wrong, & have BT been known to act in a case like this?
Any suggestions on how I can improve my chances of a sucessful outcome?
All comments & suggestions welcome.
SamP
itsme
Grafter

Are you sure of the exchange you are on? I'm only 500m from an exchange unfortunately not the one I'm on. My exchange is 3km away and I'm the boundry where it switch to the other.
SamP
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Are you sure of the exchange you are on? I'm only 500m from an exchange unfortunately not the one I'm on. My exchange is 3km away and I'm the boundry where it switch to the other.

Yes. 
I'm connected to the exchange that is (almost) within stone throwing distance (not that I would do such a thing, you understand) - yet I get an attenuation figure which would be consistent with being at the far end of 5 km of wire.
SamP