cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find my FTTC sync speed?

kingkobra
Grafter

How do I find my FTTC sync speed?

Had FTTC installed yesterday and was wondering how I find my sync speed?
Had a good connection yesterday, downloading at about 33mb across a range of different speedtesters, but trying again this morning its only downloading between 5mb and 14mb depending on which speedtester I use. Upload speed has remained as it was yesterday though.
Would be good to know what my actual sync speed is, and why such a big drop overnight. (it did resync at about 8pm ish last night).
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: How do I find my FTTC sync speed?

I don't think you can interrogate the modem directly, without hacking it, to find your synch speed.
Best bet is to try the bt speedtested at http://speedtester.bt.com/
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
kingkobra
Grafter

Thanks, that's what I thought. Don't really want to start messing with the modem with it only being a day old Smiley
BT Speedtester gives me a download speed of 16mb, on a 12-33mb profile. Bit bemused as to why it has halved in speed overnight though.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Are you using a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, then I'd try wired to make sure it's not the wi-fi link causing the bottleneck.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kingkobra
Grafter

It is a wired connection. I did try rebooting the modem but it still downloads at the same slower rate. Not overly concerned at the moment, but obviously would rather have yesterdays 33mb than todays speed.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Your profile and sync speed are currently showing at 33MB/s, nothing has changed since last night on your line.
Are they still the same? It may be worth trying a PPPoE connection on your PC.
You would need to bypass the Technicolor router and connect via ethernet to the Openreach modem.
Windows
Go to the Control Panel then Network Connections
Click Create a new connection
Choose Connect to the Internet
Select Set up my Connection Manually
Select Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password (PPPoE)
Enter the ISP Name: Plusnet
Enter the Broadband Username and Password
Click Finish and click Connect
Let me know how you get on.
kingkobra
Grafter

Thanks Chris. I tried that but kept getting errors when trying to connect, but I might have done something wrong. I just connected my pc directly to the modem instead of the router and followed the instructions.
However, I have tried the BT speedtester again this morning, and it appears that its back at its 30+ mb download speed. Could yesterdays speeds be related to the training period? The Openreach engineer did say the speeds would go up and down for a few days, but I just didnt expect it to be such a big difference.
Cheers!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

They will fluctuate in the first few days, and the amount will vary on each individual line.
I would suggest connecting back into the router and see if your speeds are different.