cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change my MTU on my plusnet router?

Estragon
Rising Star

Re: How do I change my MTU on my plusnet router?

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: SuperSaiyan4
I want it set to the Xbox Live recommend setting of 1364

Why would you want to slow your connection down when used by anything other than the Xbox?
Would I be right in thinking that includes broadband throughput speed?
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Not sure just trying to set the MTU for my console, I don't remember that impacting my internet speed back in the day but I am guessing things have now changed? If I lower my MTU will my internet speed get reduced also?
Well having read a bit more about MTU for this day and age looks like it will slow down data transmission however done speed tests found no reduction.
Anyways it was set on 1492 and instead ive bumped it up to 1500 so lets see how that goes.
Thanks all for the help, much appreciated.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When you reduce the MTU it means more packets have to be sent to transmit the same amount of data - that must have a consequence. Providing the RWIN is a good size (Windows 7 and presumably 8 auto tune that setting) it won't make a lot of difference to a wired connection. I have seen wireless actual throughput halve when the router MTU was smaller than the PC MTU; this is because the packets have to be split and the number of packets doubles.
If the Xbox is set to use 1364, as long as the router is set to that or higher the Xbox will happily use 1364. That applies to all devices they will use their setting or the router whichever is the higher. So setting the router to the maximum possible makes sense as it should allow optimum performance of all connected devices.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I could find very little definitive information about what actual wifi speeds the xbox 360 "slim" supports, but I'm guessing it's the minimum required of 65mbps.
whelpton
Grafter

The mtu setting that is being modified is for the wan rather than the lan. The MTU setting refers to the maximum transmission size of packets being sent across the net; lowering this setting can sometimes help to reduce ping times and I would imagine this is why xbox live recommends a lower number.
If you want the best possible gaming times, its always going to be best to hook up with an Ethernet cable rather than using wireless. As EJS states, there's very little information about the maximum capabilities of the XBOX's internal adapter. I would also guess that the max is only 65Mbps.
Also, the Thomson/Technicolor boxes that Plusnet ships are amazing at keeping a connection live with a low signal to noise margin. I've used a Thomson 585 for four years and when it dies, I'll probably get another.
apjashley1
Grafter

Weird problem, mine does the same when the printer connects - drops from 130mbps to 60, and yes the printer uses 802.11n
whelpton
Grafter

The router can only broadcast as fast as its slowest connected device, which means that if the printer can only support 65mbps, the router will broadcast at that speed.
When I had a 587, mine was permanently stuck on 54 thanks to my phone being b/g. Now I'm using a 585 that doesn't matter anymore.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Interesting...Emmm...
Ive been changing my MTU (Internet) using Telnet and noticed its default is 1492, if I increase it to 1500 which it says is the apparent default setting some internet pages like gaming sites become unstable in the sense that images are missing, also if I try doing a speedtest it hangs and becomes erratic. So ive put it back to 1492, strange.
Estragon
Rising Star

Not sure just trying to set the MTU for my console, I don't remember that impacting my internet speed back in the day but I am guessing things have now changed? If I lower my MTU will my internet speed get reduced also?
Well having read a bit more about MTU for this day and age looks like it will slow down data transmission however done speed tests found no reduction.
Anyways it was set on 1492 and instead ive bumped it up to 1500 so lets see how that goes.
Thanks all for the help, much appreciated.
Sorry I got ratty earlier. I've since read your previous posts and accept you have reason to be generally worked up.  I still feel objecting to Oldjim's post was unwarranted though.
Re the internet speed, I would have thought changing the router down below the 1500 (1492 effective)  would mess with that, but I'm not sure. Which is why I asked jelv - or anybody. It's not my area of expertise.  I'm not too happy about the upload side with it set to 1500 either.
Estragon
Rising Star

Ive been changing my MTU (Internet) using Telnet and noticed its default is 1492, if I increase it to 1500 which it says is the apparent default setting some internet pages like gaming sites become unstable in the sense that images are missing, also if I try doing a speedtest it hangs and becomes erratic. So ive put it back to 1492, strange.
If it's of any interest, my Buffalo router page for setting the MTU has its default 1500, but I use the  auto-setup wizard, (similar to what the PN one does). Looking at the Diagnostics page which shows the live values of everything, that has 1454.  Undecided
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Yeah sorry about earlier, ive had a rather poor service from plusnet and only got it all set up yesterday even had to call them despite the order going through it wasn't actually turned on *facepalm* then before that had to make a post about where my order was which was in 'limbo' *Facepalm again*
Also having just come off from black ops 2 which destroys any sense a person can have I took out some of my frustration on here which I am very very sorry for 😞
In regards to the MTU thing again yes it makes no sense, 1500 is the default however for Internet it is set to 1492, if I raise it to 1500 websites don't fuction correctly and nor does speedtest.net which is weird.
Anyways im done tinkering with it now lol am gonna go watch ParaNorman on the Xbox 360 in 1080p lol.
whelpton
Grafter

some internet pages like gaming sites become unstable

If the packets cannot be handled at the server than they will either be rejected or fragmented and result in what you described. I'd recommend 1478 or 1492 if Plusnet still uses PPPoA connections.