cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change my MTU on my plusnet router?

SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

How do I change my MTU on my plusnet router?

Model number/Make: Technicolor TG582n
I cannot find where to change the mtu or even see what it is set at, please can someone advise.
Many thanks.
41 REPLIES 41
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Re: How do I change my MTU on my plusnet router?

Also when I first got my router it was saying it does 130mbps on wireless N, as soon as I added my xbox 360 console to the network the speed of the wireless n dropped to 65mbps why is this???
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

there appear to be  two versions of the Xbox - one with wireless n and one with wireless g - which do you have http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/wireless-network-adapter
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Duplicate post in gaming removed
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

OMG please tell me that wasn't your response...My question is on the ROUTER how do I change mtu settings this has nothing to do with the xbox being a wireless n or g...
Estragon
Rising Star

Errr?
To me it looks rather like a response to
Also when I first got my router it was saying it does 130mbps on wireless N, as soon as I added my xbox 360 console to the network the speed of the wireless n dropped to 65mbps why is this???

So I don't quite see why you were so rude in your reply.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

*facepalm* that has NOTHING to do with it being wireless n or g...
I wish people would read the question ive had nothing but issues with plusnet and their horrid service now this...
Those who own an Xbox 360 know very well that there is NO area on the console that tells you at what network speed you are connected at.
On the ROUTER I repeat ROUTER the PlusNet one you know the one with the blinking lights all over it? That says my network speed is now HALVED it was 130mbps when I set it all up but as soon as I added a device being the Xbox 360 the ROUTER now says 65mbps.
Lastly I wanted to know where I can change the MTU in the ROUTER.
Estragon
Rising Star

I suggest using a hammer.  Unless you can find a bottle of politeness to drink.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

I suggest people learn to read...
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: SuperSaiyan4

The router is using the speed compatible with all connected devices, that is 11g.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Play nice, all of you!
It may be that the slower connection of the XBOX is impacting the wireless speed available from the router and the router is therefore only allowing the wireless to be connected at the lowest speed device connected on the network.
The MTU setting, there should be a way however we're not sure off the top of our head, it may be in the telnet settings but we're not aware of the command unfortunately.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Err 11g?? O.o
Also that makes no sense at all, the router network speed has dropped by half...I am using wireless N devices so it should be set to its fastest speed which is 130mbps.
I didn't have this issue with my BT homehub 3.
Also please can someone advice where I go to change the MTU settings, thanks.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Play nice, all of you!
It may be that the slower connection of the XBOX is impacting the wireless speed available from the router and the router is therefore only allowing the wireless to be connected at the lowest speed device connected on the network.
The MTU setting, there should be a way however we're not sure off the top of our head, it may be in the telnet settings but we're not aware of the command unfortunately.

Hi,
No the Xbox 360 is the latest slim which has always (since the slim came out) had a wireless N device built in, the bt homehub 3 never dropped its wireless transmission down so why is the plusnet router doing it? If the device is connected at N capable settings then the router should not be outputting half the transmission data speed.
Also would highly appreciate for someone to please advise the above and also how to change the mtu settings as I would like to see what the router is set at as I want to change the setting.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Ah, sorry didn't know it was the slim. I'm really not sure about that then as my XBOX is wired rather than wireless. I'll give it a go later and see though.
Try having a look here for MTU commands: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

ip iflist

I've not changed mine and it's 1500 so I see no reason why it should be necessary to change it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)