cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I tell if my connection is ADSL1 or ADSL2?

bognorbroadband

How can I tell if my connection is ADSL1 or ADSL2?

I want to upgrade my wireless router (a Belkin N of a few years vintage: I didn't get on with the Thomson Gateway freebee) and am thinking of buying the Netgear DGND3700 N600. However, many of the reviews I've read warn that this model isn't compatible with "older ADSL 1 type" connections.
I've looked through all the links in the "my account" section of the site; but I can't find anything that tells me if my connection is ADSL1 or ADSL2. Using the relevant Plusnet tool, I have ascertained that my local exchange (Bognor Regis) is "enabled for WBC on 21CN", which, if I understand correctly, means that it can deliver an ADSL2 service. But just because it can, I don't want to assume that that's what I'm on.
Can you assist please?
7 REPLIES 7
bradw
Grafter

Re: How can I tell if my connection is ADSL1 or ADSL2?

Your best bet is logging into your current router and looking at the line information.
If it gives the ADSL type as a "code" (Example: G.992.1) you can look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_digital_subscriber_line) to find what it relates to.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I cannot believe any current ADSL modem/router is going to be not compatible with ADSL1. I expect what really happened is that DGND3700 didn't perform as well as other ADSL modem/routers on some reviewers' ADSL1 lines. And perhaps netgear support would rather blame your telephone line rather than their £100 router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What sync speed do you normally get, Up as well as down?
bognorbroadband

Thanks for the replies.
Brad W
I've looked through the router settings and unfortunately ADSL type is simply shown as "Interleave path" without any code.
EJS
The recently updated PC Pro review wrote " (Please note: since this review first ran in PC Pro magazine it has become apparent that the router does not work reliably with older ADSL 1 type connections. Despite a recent firmware update from Netgear, it still doesn't.)..... We can't recommend it for anyone on an older ADSL 1 connection, which is disappointing, however those with ADSL2/2+ or cable connections who want optimum wireless performance should look no further."
Anotherone
I normally get around 8-10 Mbps down and up and 0.3 Mbps up. I've just done a speedcheck and it's obviously a good day because the readings were 11.89Mbps down and 0.37 Mbps up.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is ADSL2 or ADSL2+ so don't worry
You could ask for your upload to be uncapped which would about double the effective upload speed
bognorbroadband

Thanks Jim. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21