cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate is the status info shown on BT 2110 Router re Line mode?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: How accurate is the status info shown on BT 2110 Router re Line mode?

I'd rather hold fire as we can't do that whilst there's a fault open, also I doubt it would lead to any improvement to be honest.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dvvrue95
Grafter

Adam,
OK so lets await the outcome of the fault resolution then, thanks
dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi Adam,
any news on the status of the outstanding fault? I was asked by support to complete a BT speed test on Friday which I did and advised then accordingly. But since then I've heard nothing.
Sad 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It's been picked up, looks like it's being reset at the moment to allow it to retrain.
dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi Adam,
the previously referred to outstanding fault has been closed now.
So I was wondering if we could try a changeover to ADSL2+, take a look at the last set of line stats from the BT speedtest which is on the end of the last fault report. I understand that ADSL2+ makes use of Seamless Rate Adaption which may be of benefit
what do you think?
Ian
x47c
Grafter

No BT ADSL system uses Seamless Rate Adaption.
I believe it was considered for ADSL2+ but not implemented
I think there was one LLU operator who used it - no idea whether they still do or not.
With SRA the sync speed varies both up and down 'on the fly' totally invisible to the user and without any user input required.
If your target SNR margin is say 6 then the measured SNR margin remains at 6 (or within the tolerance band ) the whole time.  So rather than having the SNR margin drop in the evenings as now happens and hoping the router holds on to the connection/sync rate, with SRA the sync speed would drop in line with the dropping SNR margin - some may not like that!  
Of course the advantage of SRA is that in the morning the sync speed would automatically increase as the SNR margin increased.  Currently it requires a user input resync command to effect that.
I suppose whether SRA would have been an advantage to you or not depends on your line.  It seems to me that those lines that are basically stable but which have noise that appears on them at predefined times in the day (say -RF interference from industry) would benefit the most as the sync speed would automatically vary up and down as the noise appeared and vanished.
As lines might well be doing re-syncs much more often under SRA I'm not too sure about when this would affect adversely the cross talk on the phone cable bundle during the re-sync process.  In other words under SRA whether your particular broadband signal would be degraded by interference from all the various lines around you 'constantly' re-syncing up/down......
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI dvvrue95,
It's probably worth going on 21CN but on ADSL1 rather than ADSL2+. One of the benefits are that you'll get a profile that's 88.2% of your sync rate rather than the fixed ones on 20CN. Would you like ne to go ahead and order it?
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd suggest try ADSL2+ but not with an uncapped upstream. If it proves troublesome, down grade to ADSL1 as suggested by Jojo.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I wouldn't place an order for ADSL2+ with the estimates on this line. ADSL1 is much better at slower speeds. Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Quote from: Joanne
HI dvvrue95,
It's probably worth going on 21CN but on ADSL1 rather than ADSL2+. One of the benefits are that you'll get a profile that's 88.2% of your sync rate rather than the fixed ones on 20CN. Would you like ne to go ahead and order it?
Jojo Smiley

err... JoJo, see reply 5  Roll_eyes
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I've just checked, as MisterW suspected its because you've been moved on to ADSL 1 on 21CN which is still an up to 8mb service, this is as the estimated speed for your line is around 1mb so there's be no real benefit to upgrade to an ADSL2 connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi JoJo,
as stated elsewhere in this thread I am already supposed to be on 21CN as ADSL(1).
So I guess what you are saying is no to changing to ADSL2. I.E. there is no (speed) benefit
At least its worth knowing the limits of 6.7km of copper  Sad
Ian
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks MisterW, guilty as charged Smiley
@dvvrue95,
I could try putting you on ADSL2+ if you want, but if you have problems I'd ask us to put it back rather than raise any faults.
Jojo Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

We all have bad days, JoJo  Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi JoJo
OK so it would seem that the (PN) support guys have now closed the fault incident which originally kicked off this thread for me.
Can we try ADSL2+ with a capped upstream .... and I promise not to report any difficulties as a fault but to get back via this forum (you).
Let me know when
many thanks  Ian Huh
dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi JoJo,
I take it you, or someone at PN is doing something to my line since I lost DSL and Internet lights on my router at about 14:30 today.
I am coming through via a MiFi unit at the moment.
My fixed line router is still down i.e. no DSL or Internet indications, although I think I have seen the router trying to sync. up.
Sad Ian