cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move woes

David_W
Rising Star

House move woes

Somehow, when things go wrong (which I'm happy to admit probably rarely happens with PN) they go very wrong.  My story so far, on the 6th I was moving house.  We were to move into 55 but instead moved to 56 but had already informed PN that this would happen and that BT had changed our "switch on" date from the 6th to the 9th or something silly.  So we moved on the 6th and to our happy surprise the phone was turned on just as our old one turned off (but we kept the same number)
Later that day (night rather) I phoned PN to let them know my line was indeed active and the nice customer support chappie informed me that I'd have my internet speed in 7-10 days, most likely 7 days.  Great, I'd have internet access on the 14th!  Though a later examination of the ticket via my laptop and 56k (btw, the web site loads up so very slowly on dial up, maybe a lo-fi version could be implimented?) showed a date of the 15th, so I was happy.
Then along came the 15th without my internet.  Eventually (probably on the 15th) I phoned and asked "excuse me, where is my internet please?"  and I'm pretty sure I was put through to India?  In fact, all my support calls apart from the 1st one seems to have put me through to a call centre in India?  Anyhow, I was told it would be on soon, probably in the morning or the day after.
The next morning, no internet, the day after, no internet, I phoned again.  Over the next few days I phoned a couple of times and on the 16th (or 17th) I guess, I was promised "24-48 hours but I dunno cause its the weekend (or words to that effect)".
Monday came and no internet still, so I phoned up again and spoke to a lovely lady who was very appologetic and put my on hold for 30 minutes till I could speak to another person in provisioning who was talking to BT, it turned out there was something like a duplicate order on my line or some such thing (its a brand new line though, and I have had no internet to place an order) and I was told I'd have internet in the morning or the day after at the latest, I was luckily letting my bird listen to Classic FM so Mozart had chilled me out a bit, my budgie loves classic music!
So yesterday morning my internet came back online and I was happy, until I checked my tickets today.  One of the male staff I had spoke to had promised to open a ticket about refunding me for the time I was without internet access (almost 50 years, roughly, or at least felt like it, more like 2 weeks) but there is no ticket in the system, open or closed.
This of course raises lots of questions, most that I can't actually think to ask, but a couple I can do.  I phoned up using my home phone number on the 6th, my line was active, your tests showed my line was active, I was talking to you on an active phone line, so why later on was there a question over why my line was inactive when *you* had phoned me back on the number in question?  Why, when the phone line was not activated on schedule, was there not a mechanism in place to ensure that the DSL would be activated with some urgency?  At one point I was told my order may have to be cancelled which would lead to another 7-10 days wait on top (that was the phone call where I got really annoyed and asked about the refund for time without service). 
This really had dented my faith in PN a little bit.  Up until now the service and support has been nothing short of exemplary, I keep trying to get my brother to sign up so I can get 25p off.
On the up side my speed seems to be the same, if not better, than my old connection, can anyone tell me if these stats are good and if I'll have/keep 8mb?
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 31 db 8 db
Noise Margin 9 db 28 db
12 REPLIES 12
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: House move woes

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 31 db 8 db
Noise Margin 9 db 28 db
blooming marvellous, do you live in the exchange?
David_W
Rising Star

I wish, I've actually moved further away from the exchange than I was before, I think I was around 27db there.  Hopefully the line will stay rock solid for the next 10 days and I'll be kept on my current profile.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is your exchange WBC on 21CN enabled yet?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
David_W
Rising Star

21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/03/2011
21CN PSTN switchover target:
No 21CN for another 2 years!  Usertools doesn't have my postcode however, neither does samknows or compare the meercat, that could explain why my insurance renewal quotes were so high for my meer cat Shocked
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have you got your insurance down yet? - just threaten to go elsewhere. Good luck with your sync. Hopefully someone from comms will pickup about your disruption.
David_W
Rising Star

My renewal went up from £85 to £95 for this coming year even though I have an extra year NCD, had my licence a year longer and moved to a better part of town.  It makes me wonder why my no claims discount goes up, but my renewal doesn't take advantage of the discount.  Cheapest quote from tesco's was £103, I've been waiting for my internet to come back before I start to shop around but I know if I get a good quote my current provider will match it.  Last year they wanted £150!! but I got a quote for £80 and told them "I aint renewing, I got a cheaper quote" so they not only almost matched the quote, they added that I can ride any err meer cat that I like and use it for commuting... with the same insurance company (Norwich Union) that would have been the £150.
Pretty hard to get a decent quote if sites can't recognise my postcode yet though.
Mand
Grafter

Hi dgwebb,
I'm sorry you weren't called back when advised, and that the ticket wasn't raised when you were told it would be.
I have raised a ticket on your account now (honest! ;)), and hope that this will be sorted for you.
Good luck in the new place. Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

Aww Mand, you're fantastic, it really is the support from people like you (and the other staff that frequent this forum!) that give PN its name.  Now if you could find me a cheaper quote for my meer cat it'd be perfect Cheesy
Mand
Grafter

Unfortunately I'm not permitted to drive (cars, meerkats or otherwise) so my knowledge in that area is minimal.
There's only so much we can do ya know. Wink
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mand
There's only so much we can do ya know. Wink

Lies.  I know about the magic sword Smiley
B.
David_W
Rising Star

Is that the Terry Pratchett magic sword?  That was a fantastic sword that one, though if I had a magic sword it would probably get motion sickness if I swung it, moan at me to wipe my hands with anti-bacterial hand wipes because it doesn't want my germs on its handle and refuse to slice anyone in half because "do you know how many germs are inside the human body?!"  Thats magic for you, never trust it Tongue
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this is how quick Mand can be