Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: House move question

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2208 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.8 db 18.0 db
These are the stats that I've got with everything plugged in with the router in the master socket but not the test socket.
Oldjim, I haven't got access to the internet on my computer at the moment (using hubby's) so can't upload a photo from my camera. Is there something specific you want me to look for?
Annie
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How many wires are connected to the faceplate and to which connectors.
There should be wires connected to  slots 2 and 5 but there may be one or two others
Annie
Rising Star

Ok - a further test. I unplugged all the extensions and plugged the router into master socket (not test socket) and downstream is back up to 3168kbps.
Three snags with this setup
1) I've got no phones
3) The mains lead for the router is sprawled across the hall
could be a tad inconvenient  Wink
Annie
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Well there are some sacrifices worth making, I feel.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Annie
Rising Star

'Oldjim',
I've looked at the socket and I see an orange and a blue connected and a green and brown which isn't connected to anything. I've taken a photo with my mobile phone but can't seem to connect this up to the computer. Is there some way of sending this through by sms?
Annie
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If only two wires are connected that is good.
Can you check the other sockets in the house to see if only the same two wires are connected
I can't help on SMS as I have a mobile phone which only does texts and calls non of this fancy rubbish
Annie
Rising Star

Jim, I have a bit of a botch system I'm afraid. None of my extensions are proper ones. They are just extensions plugged into the master socket with a few junction boxes where they branch off. We lived here 4 years ago and I don't think Max was invented then. When we had tenants the master socket was changed but I don't know why this was or who did it.
I've now altered things slightly with regard to what's plugged into what and where I put my filters.
As you'll see from the image, the speed is down from when the router was in the master socket and nothing else was plugged in. I've moved my router back upstairs and the speed is better than what it was before I went crawling around the house on my hands and knees  ;D. Incidentally, with the new 'wiring' (I use that term very loosly) and the router still in the master, speeds were much the same as this. It's as if everything drops when there's anything else on the line. Is this normal behaviour?
I think I'll need to monitor the stats and see if they remain consistent. I'm still in the 10 day trial thing so I don't know if it will stabilize at the right level after all these experiments.
Perhaps I'll get someone to take a look at the wiring and see if anything can be done to improve things. We've just had the whole house redecorated so don't want to have to lift carpets and floorboards, etc.
Annie
Santiago
Grafter

Annie
This is a good piece on internal wiring. Have a look through it, it describes how to remove the unnecessary orange bell wire and simplify the wiring.
http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html
I went through this process last year and made huge improvements in speed and stabilty
Annie
Rising Star

Hi Santiago,
Thanks for the link. I think my socket is slightly different so I'm not sure what to do. I've attached a photo.
I've run a few further tests. I'm a bit confused. The router and BT Speed Checker say my downstream is 2304 kbps. I don't understand how this relates to the IP profile. I thought that was the maximum I could get but, if so, that doesn't make sense. The Exchange checked seems to think I can get 1.5 Mbps and http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk says my downstream is only 853 kbps. Looking at this, what is my speed?

BT Speed Checker - http://speedtester.bt.com
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2304 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 750 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 642 kbps

Broadband Line Checker - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=16738

For Postcode ****** on Exchange CROWNHILL
We've just tested your line and can confirm your line supports the UK's most complete broadband package, BT Total Broadband. We estimate your maximum connection speed to be up to 1.5 Mbps (Megabits per second).

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Date Download Speed Upload Speed 
Today 15:52 853 kbps (107kB/s) 382 kbps (47.8kB/s)
Router Stats
Connection Speed 2304 kbps 448 kbps
Noise Margin 9.1 db 18.0 db
Annie
Annie
Rising Star

Another update. I just made a phone call and there was noise on the line so have had to revert to how I had things set up this morning. Now the router stats say:
Connection Speed 1280 kbps 448 kbps
Noise Margin 8.8 db 16.0 db
Not sure what to do now.
Annie