cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move - how long?

macmearns

House move - how long?

I requested a house move on 17th October - requesting immediate effect - was told would be effective from 24th October- fair enough - then was told it would be the 27th October - I am still waiting on the 30th and despite requesting information on the ticket (ID: 23123894)  have no idea why I am still waiting - and for this I have been charged £40 (on the 17th).
Have been with Plusnet nearly six years and was happy with the general service but as this is the second house move that has not been completed as stated (last one took a month!) I am seriously considering finding a different ISP, I find the lack of information especially irritating. The previous owner of the house was using broadband so I would doubt that there could be that much wrong with the line/ exchange etc.
Has anyone else encountered this sort of problem? To my way of thinking the 'ticket' system only works if there is reasonable feedback from the tech support?
18 REPLIES 18
James
Grafter

Re: House move - how long?

Hi,
Unfortunately the problem here is that the previous tenant of your new address failed to cancel their old broadband service within a timely manner.  This meant that we were unable to place a broadband order until the previous service was cancelled.
I've just asked a member of our Provisioning Team to have a look into this urgently for you.
I'm really sorry for the delays that you have experienced, but unfortunately it is a fundamental shortfall of the broadband ordering process which in this case could not be avoided.
macmearns

Thanks I got the reason that previous owner hadn't switched off but after that was due to be switched on at 9am on Sat 27th - wasn't and there was no explaination why - ok I'm maybe getting a bit jittery but given the length of time I was offline when I last moved and taking into account I use this connection for work purposes you can maybe understand why I am trying to chase things up.
James
Grafter

No, I absolutely get the frustration and why you would be asking for an update.  I would do exactly the same thing in your situation.
If you have a quick look at your ticket, you'll see that t's now been updated and that we've now managed to get an order placed for you.
macmearns

Thanks for getting things moving but sorry, the update doesn't quite clear things up - according to an earlier update the 'tag' was supposedly removed on the 26th Oct and I was supposed to be getting my service on the 27th this new update now gives two dates, the 2nd of November at 9am and the 6th of November - which is it? and it doesn't tell me why there is a further delay if the tag was removed as stated on the 26th.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Because we were only able to place the order to day, it should be completed on Nov 6th.
macmearns

But why were you only able to place the order today - it has, according to the ticket, supposedly already been placed twice? I am quite open to reasonable explanation but object to being misinformed or not informed at all - where does the 2nd of November come into it all? Why do you say on the application form that the complete changeover can be done in a week but now I still have to wait yet another week (2 weeks after initially ordering).
James
Grafter

Right.
The dates you were given earlier were expected dates based on a clear line.  As you stated, the order was ptreviously placed multiple times based on the information that we were getting from BT of when the line should have been clear.  this is the reason why you were given different dates.  I have checked myself and can see no reason why your order should not complete on the 6th.
I'll be happy to refund for any downtime you have experienced as a result of the delays you have suffered.
macmearns

Well I suppose at least I might get my decorating done while I wait though it's not good from the work perspective - hope I don't have to move again for a while though - 4 weeks off last time & 3 this (if it does go on on the 6th) its enough to start serious withdrawal symptoms - whoever does the actual 'switching on' seems to take their time about it - BT say they can do it same day!
Thanks for your help - I didn't seem to be getting any answer on the ticket
James
Grafter

Hi there,
That's to be expected, re: the wait times I'm afraid.  Because we deal with thousands of provisioning tickets on a weekly basis, the Provisioning Team have a target of answering tickets within 8 working hours.
I spend my days watching the forums for new posts (aswell as other aspects of my job) so I would be likely to see a forum response prior to their seeing your ticket again.
marcwelsh

Quote from: macmearns
Thanks for your help - I didn't seem to be getting any answer on the ticket
I am suffering likewise. In my case BT have a Dax on my line which means BT have to install additional capacity to enable broadband. After much faffing Plusnet placed the order for BT to do this work about 5 weeks ago. I am still no closer to knowing when I'll actually have broadband, but so far the whole experience of trying to move line has dragged out for 6 weeks.
In my experience so long as the problem is straightforward plusnet will get it sorted out, but as soon as it becomes tricky they loose their customer service skills and ethos.  Throw in the difficulties for ISP's getting info out of BT Wholesale and you are in a whole heap of trouble. As a consequence I seem to be suffering from leprosy as far as the call centre are concerned, with apparently genuine statements being made by the advisors to the effect that 'someone will phone me back/update my ticket within an hour' and then inevitably not doing so.
My advice to you is to keep your fingers crossed!
macmearns

Latest twist in the tale - I have now been sent an e-mail (lucky I have access elsewhere!) saying
"We have been informed that a cancellation order (also known as a PSTN
cease) has been placed on your telephone line. This is due for completion on 09/11/2007
This will also mean that your broadband service will be stopped."
Now are they meaning the service that has already been stopped (on the 24th Oct) at my old address or are they meaning the service that I have not yet got at the new address is going to be stopped almost before I have received it (that is if I do get it when Jameseh thinks I will). 
There is nothing clarifying the email on the ticket. Please will someone let me know what is going on.
James
Grafter

Under the assumption that you haven't cancelled your telephone line, this will just be us having received a report from BT to let us know that your old telephone line has been cancelled.
macmearns

Wouldn't dream of cancelling line - want broadband sometime!! but the email (actually two of them) was pretty insistant that I had to take some action and as I had already been told on the ticket ages ago that the old line was cancelled I was just worried that somehow the request for the new place had also been cancelled - especially when the date for the cancellation is set so far ahead.
James
Grafter

Sure, I can appreciate that.
The email is designed to let you know that BT have placed a stop on your line.  This happens when you do something like change the name of the bill payer for your line.  This results in the broadband service being removed and in those cases, does need rapid action Smiley