cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move help (from old forum) for comms team

James
Grafter

Re: House move help (from old forum) for comms team

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'm going to have a word with the rtelevant Team Leader and see if we can look into providing some further inforamtion as the rule in the future.
fatdeeman
Grafter

I've been thinking about this a bit.
Before I moved to this house I had no problem getting my broadband up and running (the transfer only took about 3 days!)
The old house was on the same exchange so if bt are saying there is no spare capacity at the exchange does that mean that somewhere in the process of me trying to move my broadband they have given my space at the exchange to someone else?
I'm still not quite sure what to think at this point anyway, I spent months being told the delay was due to dacs and then get told it's a capacity problem out of the blue and the dacs is no longer mentioned.
When bt told plusnet it was dacs and to wait for an update did they actually mention the progress with the dacs removal in their latest review or just this new issue of exchange capacity?
I've also been checking the exchange status on the usertools site and so far haven't seen any capacity issues mentioned.
I find the conflicting messages very strange and confusing, why would they say wait a month for a review on the dacs situation and then not mention it at all and bring up something else?
Does that mean there is a still a dacs issue or not?
I wonder if i'll be online in time for xmas  Huh

fatdeeman
Grafter

Any news today? Due an update, fingers crossed!
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I'm really sorry that I missed your post last time around.
One of our Provisioning guys has just phoned BT and he'll be giving you a ring shortly.  What transpires is that the information that I was given by BT suggesting that this was a capacity issues appears to be incorrect and the issue is still a de-DECS one.  However, due to where the DACS is (we didn't get this information, but it's probably under something, like a road) it's going to cost in the region of £5,000 and as such, they have passed the issue to their financial planning department, as they have limits on the amount that they would be willing to spend for a single provision.
Absolutely appreciate that this s not what you want to hear and you have my sincere apologies for all the delays being experienced, but unfortunately there really is very little that we can do at this point.
James
Grafter

Potentially so, but that would be a BT Retail thing rather than Openreach.
James
Grafter

Depends where the line would actually come from.  It could be a case that it would still take the same path and as such would remain to be outside of BTs cost limits.
James
Grafter

You speak the truth.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

How about blowing the road up, then reporting a fault to BT/the council. That way you can get ADSL, and a nicely surfaced road to boot.
Disclaimer: This was a joke. Don't go blowing things up. Bombs are bad and made by naughty people. Tongue
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Problem with that Mike is that if the OP's local council is anything like mine, I don't think anyone would notice another massive hole in the road Grin
I'm sure I remember reading on the old forums that BT have a cost limit and pass the remainder on. I seem to remember Dave T saying it was £1500, but even if that's true, it still going to be quite a pricey line.
I guess it's worth checking if Branson has installed cable in your area?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
One of our Provisioning guys has just phoned BT and he'll be giving you a ring shortly.  What transpires is that the information that I was given by BT suggesting that this was a capacity issues appears to be incorrect and the issue is still a de-DECS one.  However, due to where the DACS is (we didn't get this information, but it's probably under something, like a road) it's going to cost in the region of £5,000 and as such, they have passed the issue to their financial planning department, as they have limits on the amount that they would be willing to spend for a single provision.

I believe that the £5000 is not to remove the DAC's because it is under the road but to lay a new cable as there are no spare pairs on the existing cables. I assume the OP is in an area were all the cables are underground and not using drop wires.
fatdeeman
Grafter

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
How about blowing the road up, then reporting a fault to BT/the council. That way you can get ADSL, and a nicely surfaced road to boot.
Disclaimer: This was a joke. Don't go blowing things up. Bombs are bad and made by naughty people. Tongue

Very tempted!
I don't know what to do really, I rely heavily on having access to the internet and next year my wife begins university and will need it even more.
There won't be 3g coverage in our area until 2008 at the earliest  and I don't realy find the "unlimited" (3gb fair useage policy in very small print) packages very tempting anyway.
And as for cable, nobody can get cable in the valley where I live at all no matter where they live.
It's so frustrating, before we moved all was fine, some 2 kilometers from the exchange and now that we live 200 meters away we have this nightmare! you can see the exchange from the bedroom window!
It drives me mad knowing people in the same street have broadband and that at least one person had dacs removed recently to get brodband.
the family next door are moving house, maybe if they have broadband it will free the capacity up for me, but is there any way I can relay this information to bt if it is the case?
I know it had to happen after so many years of trouble free broadband but I never thought I would ever get stung this badly!
I really don't know what do now....
It's starting to seem pointless carrying on paying bt just to get put back every month.
The only thing I can think of is trying to order bt broadband, someone in the same street tried to get aol but it didn't go through due to dacs but bt told them if they ordered from them they would rectify the problem and lo and behold they did!
And I know it's true because it was my mother in law and it was me that got told they would remove the dacs if they dropped aol and went with btbb!
2 weeks later they were up and running after several months of aol woes............
fatdeeman
Grafter

Actually when I think about it a chap went up and down the street with a paint can the other day spraying symbols and inscrutions here and there and allthough it doesnt come up to my house it does terminate at the base of the telegraph pole a few doors down and says something like "merge with existing duct" and then there are arrows going off down the street.
I wonder if that's related or it's just wishfull thinking.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: fatdeeman

I don't understand how my mother in law had dacs removed so swiftly and only lives a few doors down the road.
Maybe something to do with her ordering bt broadband........

Thanks for letting me know Smiley
Your living nearer to the mothering law!!!!
Put him to the front of the queue and give the medal out
Puddy

James
Grafter

Proving something like that is nigh on impossible.
fatdeeman
Grafter

No way of proving it at all unfortunately.
I think her dacs removal was a lot simpler anyway, I get the impression she may have gobbled up the last available pair hence my £5000 problem. That's inlaws for you! And they use the internet about once a week too, lifes just not fair!
I just don't know what to do now apart from wait and hope. Maybe a groveling letter to the ceo of bt later along the line but I don't see that helping much.
The exchange is due to be updated to 21cn standards in November which really annoys me because it wont make a blind bit of difference to me. You would think that if bt want to bring everyone up to new standards of technology they would make sure everyone was up to CURRENT standards first instead of leaving people like me even further behind.
It defeats the object of modernization when you haven't ensured the previous technology isn't fully implemented first. In my opinion they haven't yet successfully implemented current standards in my area so they should be concentrating on that first.
I suppose thats something to bring up if and when I send that letter.
One way or another they did something wrong or short sighted in regards to the amount of lines laid to begin with and if that' because of the new build houses that have cropped up recently around the corner it's not my problem, they should have put new lines in instead of putting people in my street on dacs.
I just don't know what to do about the situation, maybe someone around here has been through a similar ordeal and could offer some advice?