cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible lag spikes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Horrible lag spikes

No wonder you have a problem if your upload speed test is only showing 118KbpsShocked
that is barely enough for one person to be doing one thing at a time on the internet.

Do you get better results if you remove the faceplate from the MASTER phone socket, and plug your modem/router (using a short RJ11 cable) into the hidden TEST socket, as shown below -

This quick test will determine whether there is much you can do to improve things !
Ideally you would want to try doing this during daylight hours, as you are more likely to get a higher sync, than after dark.

While you are plugged in to the TEST socket, run through the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test, then after the speed test, click on "[Further Diagnostics]" button, enter your phone number, and click on "[Run Diagnostic Test]".  Copy and paste those results into this forum.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Before you do that, which I would agree with, grab a copy of the Helpdesk page (copy/paste into a post) but redact lines 2, 20, 21 & 26 - this may give an insight into the poor US performance.
Do the same again when connected to the Test socket.
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

I am sorry, removing the faceplate from my master phone socket is not an option. Is there not anything else I can do to help?
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could provide the info requested by 'Anotherone', in Reply#16  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: TheOliBaguette
I am sorry, removing the faceplate from my master phone socket is not an option.

Does that mean you don't have an NTE5a Master Socket similar to the one on the left?
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

I removed the faceplate, all there is is a bundle of wires. Is there not anything else I can do? Can plusnet not send an engineer out to help us or something? We have noticed that it is not just gaming that is affected, the general speed of internet surfing is now usually ridiculously slow.
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number:
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 17:31:23
7 - Data rate: 448/8128
8 - Maximum data rate: 1292/10264
9 - Noise margin: 27.0/10.6
10 - Line attenuation: 5.0/11.0
12 - Data sent/received: 237.9M/933.7M
20 - Broadband username:
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 300 Mb/s))40 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address:
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.2
Anonymous
Not applicable

From those stats, they suggest that you are on "ADSL Max", and that your modem is easily achieving the maximum upload and download speeds for standard ADSL, so there is probably nothing wrong with your connection to Plusnet.
It also shows that there was likely something heavily using your connection at the time when you were doing that 118Kbps upload speedtest, as you should have got something in the region of 380Kbps.

• Find what is on your network taking all the bandwidth, possibly a bit-torrent or a mis-configured Windows-10 PC.

• Use BT Availability Checker to see whether ADSL2 is available on your exchange.

• Consider upgrading to "ADSL Max Premium", as that will double your upload speed and give you high priority traffic

TheOliBaguette
Grafter

I'm sorry, I'm not going to upgrade my subscription. Is there not anything plusnet can do to help, like sending an engineer out to help? My computer is the only windows 10 device on this network, and it's definitely configured correctly. Me and my brother do not use bit-torrents at all. Is there a particular reason why his device would completely hog the internet over all the other devices?
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing that hasn't been checked yet, is whether your Plusnet line profile is set correctly.
Login to the Plusnet "Member Centre" using this link - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
and report back what it says your "Current line speed" is set to.

I'm guessing that it will say "Current line speed: 7.15 Mb".
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

yep, 7.15 mb
Anotherone
Champion

Just for the record, the NTE5a Master Socket, the one on the left which has the test socket being the plate - you'll notice the front has a split across the middle and it's the lower half that comes off. It sounds like you have the LJU type, more like the one in the middle by your description of a "all there is is a bundle of wires". Some of the wires may be to any extension sockets - do you have any?
Normally the actual wiring of extensions may be of concern, but as the stats tell us you are very close to the exchange, running at maximum 20CN ADSL speed, and you also have plenty of SNRM headroom, it is actually of no consequence.
What the stats  you posted this morning also tell is that your connection has only been up for ~17½hrs, ie since about 6.15pm yesterday evening. So the questions are did you reboot or disconnect at all, or had it been switched off? If you are doing those things, again, because you are that close to the exchange you can "get away with that to a great degree " without the automatic exchange DLM thinking you have a bad connection.
On the proviso that you have no noise on the line when using the phone or doing the Quiet Line Test, this would suggest that your connection to the exchange seems ok - otherwise noise will cause errors on your Broadband signal. This means data has to be retransmitted and the net effect is a slow down of data throughput speed.
So the only remaining significant thing that the stats are telling us is in line 12.  The data sent is about 1/4 of the data received. This would be considered quite a high proportion if you are not actually uploading quite a bit of data. Do you upload lots of pictures or anything else?
The other important factor is that if you run speed tests whilst using the connection, you will not get a true representative result that would indicate the actual capability of the connection BUT also at the times you are uploading a lot of data some modem/routers will cause significant lag on the connection if the upstream is maxed out. The 2704n is getting a bit a a reputation as being one such router.
So finding out what all this uploaded data is would seem key to solving your problem.
When you are certain that the connection is not being used by any other devices, can you run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the final results and post here (there is no need to grab an image).
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.77 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

also, no i don't upload anything really! Apparently my brother doesn't either...
TheOliBaguette
Grafter

also, no the router was not switched off, I disconnected because I wanted to use my ethernet cable with my console  Grin