cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honeymoon period over - suddenly horrendous upload speeds

LewisP

Honeymoon period over - suddenly horrendous upload speeds

I'm a relatively new customer as of about 3 weeks ago.

For those first weeks, all has been fine. Suddenly, my upload speeds are non-existent. 0.99 MBPS. That's absolutely terrible, isn't it? Downloads are still steady at 10 MBS.

I've done all the checks, unplug, different router, etc. etc. No joy.

In searching these Community posts, it seems that this happens quite frequently. I searched the term "upload speed" and found that almost everyone complaining said the same thing: fine for the first few weeks, terrible all of a sudden. Is it that common? If so, what's the reason for it?

As a freelancer who does a lot of work from home, my living relies on decent internet speeds, so this is a pretty urgent problem for me. Any suggestions firmly appreciated, folks. Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Honeymoon period over - suddenly horrendous upload speeds

Hi there,

Apologies that you seem to be having a poor experience, however around 1Mbps is the maximum upload you're going to be able to see if you're on an ADSL connection I'm afraid. ADSL2+ services don't really go above around 1/1.2Mbps upload, so getting 0.99Mbps on a speedtest is what I'd expect to see.

If you did need a faster upload, it may be worth checking if fibre to the cabinet is available to you.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
LewisP

Thanks Chris!

I should say that it's sometimes falling down to 0.5 / 0.6 too. I might look into Fibre if it's available for me though as it seems that could be a big help.

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

@LewisP wrote:

I'm a relatively new customer as of about 3 weeks ago.

For those first weeks, all has been fine. Suddenly, my upload speeds are non-existent. 0.99 MBPS. That's absolutely terrible, isn't it? Downloads are still steady at 10 MBS.

@LewisP

0.99m upload is a good speed on adsl2

1m up 10mb down is actually darn good speed on adsl2 although those drops to 0.5M up you mention are a bit untoward and might warrant a quick check for line error

You can see drops during peak periods or if your computer or the receiving end is busy - not running other things are you?

- not necessarily uploads or downloads - even processor or memory intensive application - like publishing - can slow your internet down considerably while they are running.

Make sure no significant processing or other uploads/downloads are running when you are uploading your important stuff.

My adsl2 sky connection is 13m down 1.3m up and I can see the cabinet out my front window.

- At the other house where the box is a distance away I get 9 - 10m down and 0.8 - 0.9mb up.

Be careful of what people actually mean with megabyte Vs megabit when describing speeds

I have never seen anyone with higher speeds than 13/1.3 on adsl although I've seen some report better speeds 😕

Fiber goes higher, commonly between 2 - 8 times faster (depending on a number of things) - but you should check those speed drops before upgrading.

Note that line training occurs on adsl lines for about 7 days - 10 tops (NOT 30 as some state) where strange reported speeds can sometimes be seen. But it should stabilise after that.

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@LewisP

Check here to see if you can get fibre and whether it would make a significant difference.  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Forget any conspiracy theories about honeymoon period, it’s certainly not in Plusnet ‘s interest to slow anything down.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'