cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeplugs

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Homeplugs

This may have been asked before, if so, im sorry. Didnt find anything useful  Embarrassed
But yeah, most of my kit is either in the living room connected via CAT6 gigabit from the router. Im looking to move my PC (gaming one, its awesome  Cheesy ) up to my room, as I use it for studying too and the living room has loads of distractions when trying to work!
I ended up getting some 1gbps homeplug adapters and then discovering after i bought them they were for EU power outlets. Im looking at some homeplugs on Amazon, but their only 500mbps. With my setup, stuff is moved quite a fair bit between a NAS, central WHS Server and other PCs.
Would 500mbps be alright or would it be beter to get (and pay a fair bit!) for full gigabit powerline adapters?
Cheers!
7 REPLIES 7
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Homeplugs

Best bet would be cat6 cabling ;), also 500Mbps homeplugs would probably only be good for 200Mbps;the 500 Mbps is theoretical max (250 Mbps each way)
sorry not to be any more helpfull.
Ian
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: meh
I ended up getting some 1gbps homeplug adapters and then discovering after i bought them they were for EU power outlets.

Have you tried them plugged into UK-Euro adapters?
I can't think of a technical reason why they wouldn't work - the only difference between UK and EU mains is the physical pinout. The use of an adapter might attenuate the signal somewhat but the extent of this would have to be tested in practice.
Mathew
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: ian007jen
Best bet would be cat6 cabling Wink

The routers in the living room, it would need to go like 45m cable length to get to my room! Not exactly convienient  Grin
Quote from: MJN
Have you tried them plugged into UK-Euro adapters?

Nom nom, I didnt have any Euro->UK adapters, and looking at the EU's voltage thing, its 110-120v so wouldnt the 240v UK mains cause it some damage? (Ive set things on fire before and im not entirely a big fan!) - You would need a step down transformer to convert the 240v to 120v?
MJN
Pro

Mains voltage across Europe is nominally 230V (220V-240V).
If your homeplugs are saying 110-120V then they are likely intended for the US market in which case they would indeed not be compatible (and may well not work via a transformer).
Mathew
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

*facepalm* I didnt actually open the box and check the voltages on the adapters. I was told (by dad, who apparentley knows hes electronics and opened the box) that they are 110v as they have what looks like a US 2 pin plug.
I wasnt so lazy and checked, their the round shaver/electric toothbrush kind of prongs, and are 230v.
Out of interest, the attenuation of the signal wouldnt be THAT degrading? But it is going to be plugged into a surge protector with about three HDD plug transformers so im guessing the interferance could be an issue?
Ooohh forgot to mention, (on a sidenote), the catfeeder you made is one of the most awesome things ive seen!
MJN
Pro

Anything less than a single length of cable between the homeplugs will, in theory, degrade the carrier signal. Hence joints, plugs and sockets, filters, other devices 'on the line' etc will all have an effect. How this translates to affecting the data throughput is something only really determinable by experimentation. They might cause little or no loss at all.
Thanks re the feeder!
Mathew
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Thanks for the replys. I totally forgot to order EU to UK adapters before nextday cutoff time - Should arrive tomorrow (but cant really trust the courier amazon prime throws up!) so shall post back speeds then.
I always thought 500mbps would be enough as the FULL 1gbps is never used when direct cabled (about 46%-60% is used when looking at task manager networking bit)- i gather if I got 500mbps ones, it would be the same case as half the capacity being used due to processor/chipset limitations (or something or the other)?
On the plus side, the homeplugs look quite awesome  Grin
Thanks, Meh.