Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home networking with Thomson V8 -- a different connectivity issue

saguaro
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Home networking with Thomson V8 -- a different connectivity issue

This is not exactly a Plusnet issue, except as vendors of the router in question, but this seems like a good place to find people experienced with these boxes.
My broadband was connected on Friday, and I had no trouble setting up my router -- "Easy setup" Thomson 585 v8 with the 8.2.7.7 firmware. All my computers (two with Win7 Home Premium, one with XP Home SP 3 and a quaint little Eee 4G running Xandros Linux)  can connect to the internet just fine, and I have no complaints about the speed so far.
But.  Sad
When I start up the wireless, all my computers can see each other via Windows print/file sharing. (The little Eee doesn't do too well at actually accessing files, but it never did.) Then, after a time varying from less than an hour to maybe six or seven hours, they lose the ability to see each other on the network, though they are all still connected to the outside world. Once that happens, the only way I can get my LAN back is to restart the wireless. As I understand it's bad to be power-cycling the router all the time, I've plugged the Eee in via Ethernet cable so that I can log on and do it via software, but that isn't exactly an ideal arrangement.  It would be nice if the button on the front of the box was a wireless reset or on/off button, but as far as I can tell it's purely decorative.
Has anyone else had this kind of trouble? Is there any chance that upgrading to the very latest firmware would help with this issue? Or can anyone suggest a better way of dealing with it? I've even considered switching off the router wireless permanently and using the Eee to share the connection via its own wireless, but I suspect that would be even worse, as well as less secure.

4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Home networking with Thomson V8 -- a different connectivity issue

Hi saguaro,
Install the version 8.2.7.8 firmware from here. This update was provided to specifically combat a wireless bug in the originaly firmware.
Jojo Smiley
saguaro
Rising Star

Thanks, Joanne. If you think that will help, I'll give it a go.
(I've also disabled uPnP, which I don't think I need -- no games or entertainment devices here, only computers and a PDA. The network hasn't fallen apart since I did that, but it's only been an hour or so.)
saguaro
Rising Star

Hello again, Jojo.
I just wanted to let you know that (after waiting out the 10-day training period just in case it upset anything) I finally applied the new firmware yesterday. 24 hours on, I still have a properly functioning home network, so it seems to have done the trick.
Incidentally, I did find out that the button will disconnect and reconnect the wireless -- an undocumented feature, apparently -- if I lean on it for long enough.
Thanks again for your help!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI saguaro,
You're welcome, glad it worked.
Jojo Smiley