cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home move - retain number at address being moved to

chuckster
Grafter

Home move - retain number at address being moved to

Hi all, was hoping someone might be able to clarify something about a home move which I've had conflicting answers from two different PlusNet home move reps.

I'll be moving back into my parents' home and wanted to move my service with me. Reason being is I have a few referrals to my account and also have a static IP which I've had for ten years or so (which I'd rather not change).

My parents currently have phone and broadband service with PlusNet so the thing here is the phone number would need to stay the same as they've had that for thirty years (and the rest).  One rep I spoke to a week or so ago said this wouldn't be a problem.  When I called a few minutes ago another rep said it would be an impossibility to keep the same phone number at the address I was moving my service to as this is a breach of the Data Protection Act - so parents would get a new phone number.

Am a bit miffed to be told I'm going to have to bin my account and all the associated bits I've acquired over the years.  Is there any creative ways around this that anyone can think of?  Maybe just move the broadband over and leave the phone service (although that wouldn't be ideal as it'd be more expensive).  

If I'm going to be losing my referrals and IP I may as well have a look around at alternate suppliers though it is a shame as despite the bad rap PlusNet seems to get I've never had a problem with the service and have found it to be completely reliable.  But they do say that a change is as good as a rest I guess.. unless of course someone from PlusNet comes on here and says the last rep was talking gobbledygook.

2 REPLIES 2
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Home move - retain number at address being moved to

Good evening, 

As part of moving your service over, the agents are correct in we would need to apply a new number as the line would have a new owner however providing your parents number is a BT network owned number this can be put back on for the day following your takeover.

You'd have around 24 hours with a "temporary" number but we can place an order to change that back, would you mind sending me a PM with your parents number so that I can confirm we can definitely reapply this to the line.

chuckster
Grafter

Re: Home move - retain number at address being moved to

Thanks for the speedy reply! Have dropped you a PM so will wait to see what you find out.

Thanks again.