cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Surf-er pondering next move

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Home Surf-er pondering next move

Is it the DGTeam firmware? If so I am using that OK.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Neilski
Grafter

Hi Adie.
No, the WAG200G is a bit unique, it seems.  Same chipset as a few of the DG834 series (AR7 variant) but not supported by DGTeam.
The firmware in question is by "woytekm", and I think the project to update it is now called "openwag200".
They supply an unbricking utility, which is both good and bad I think Smiley  (And the unbricking needs a special JTAG rig and takes 15 hours!!)
(Edit - fixed typo in woytekm's name)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So what's the latest on the noise then Neil?
Neilski
Grafter

Hiya Smiley
Well...
On the sane side, I'm still waiting for the jellies to arrive, so I can complete the re-wiring to permit tests without the extension spur.  The margin has been more stable "in general", but with some clear blips, many of which I suspect to be sourced within my own house but hard to pin down.  Central heating system, TV, extractor fan... are some of the current suspects.  I'm trying to be more patient, and let the patterns happen, but of course it takes days.
But more surreal stuff too, the latest being when I tackled the steering wheel noise.  I got a superbly clear response initially: no torque on wheel = 22dB margin.  Turn wheel through 90 degrees with FFB on, and hold it there, producing a fairly large torque (and thus current to the motor) = 12dB.  "Wow", thought I, "maybe the PSU is noisy".  Yanked the PSU (power brick, 24V, good fraction of an amp, gotta be switch-mode), plugged into a mains socket further from the router = no loss of margin at high wheel torque.  Wonderful, eh?
But then more testing, aligning cables with each other, making loops, blah blah blah, still no loss of margin, finally put the whole damn lot back "exactly" where it was when I started, STILL no loss of margin.  Argh.  Mucho exasperating.
No clue why unless I disturbed something and didn't notice, or perhaps the 240V plug of the PSU wasn't properly seated initially (feeble I know)...
Boy, am I looking forward to fibre broadband Smiley
James
Grafter

Boy, am I looking forward to fibre broadband

That sounds like heaven Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Neilski

Boy, am I looking forward to fibre broadband Smiley

We then only have problems on sunny days.  Grin Grin
Anotherone
Champion

ROFL
Anotherone
Champion

Re reply #48 I was going to say, well if you had a good bird's nest it'd probably cancel itself out Wink (I jest). Yes it's damned annoying trying to track down and eliminate things.
Neilski
Grafter

Smiley
Neilski
Grafter

Quick update...
Borrowed a DG834G v4, wayyyy better diagnostics, played about upstairs on extension, downstairs in master and test sockets, rejigged the wiring to a sane state (thus faceplate removal now kills extension).  The Netgear router had 2-3 dB higher atten than the Linksys (odd?) but generally slightly higher margin.  Maybe they define both subtly differently...  The Netgear also seemed to recover quicker.
Somewhat of a surprise to me - the noise (present at various times of day) was really not much better in the test socket.  Oh well.
After some days of fun, car trouble intervened and took my attention for a week or two.  Couple of days ago I decided life was too short and pulled the pin - asked for a Max regrade.
It happened at 5am today.  My own router (WAG200G) synced at 5056 and right now is hanging on at about 3dB (6 to begin with).  IP profile jumped to 4000 by the time I checked this morning around 8am (nice, was expecting 2000 for days).  A couple of hours later, the PN system adjusted too and I got the full benefit... Smiley
A big big thank you to all for the help. Without the microfilter changes (the one clear thing which made a huge difference) I'd probably be having big trouble right now!
Anotherone
Champion

And don't forget your wiring sort out will have helped, that's also why you're not noticing much difference between extension and test socket. Best of luck with the training period. I'd switch off with the thunder and lightning about before you get a low sync event!!"
Neilski
Grafter

Indeed, the ring-wire tweaks very probably helped as well - forgot about that Smiley
My exchange recently got ADSL2+, and I'm now pondering the wisdom of trying that...  (Would love slightly higher upstream speed.  I think the downstream has no real headroom, given my attenuation and current speed.)