cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holidays: Plusnet Away from Home?

griggsfw

Holidays: Plusnet Away from Home?

For those of us lucky enough to holiday away from home, can Plusnet grant its loyal customers a facility for Internet access for that period when wey're paying for -- but not using -- Plusnet at home?
Perhaps this service could be in the form of a (UK) dial-up mechanism, or possibily a reduced rate mobile access?
Fred
17 REPLIES 17
itsme
Grafter

Re: Holidays: Plusnet Away from Home?

PN offer 2 options for internet access when away from home. These are:
1. Dialup you can find the number here in the Members area.
2. Access to BT Openzone at a cheaper rate. This can be found here
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

On the last (UK) holiday, I used web access - free of charge - from the local library.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and I used the Facilities where I was staying,  Open access at a pub near St Austel, Cles access near Oban, Wap code supplied, supposedly paid for £1.50 per day in Cardigan Hotle, but didnt appear on bill, so all free
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I don't understand the question Huh  I think I've been in the sun too much today Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

nor did I but I think we all answered it
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

Reckon the OP, if going away on hols, should also apply to his Local Authoriies for refund of unused Council Tax.......
pierre_pierre
Grafter

True, he wont be using his dustbin, so thats one less (Or more) to collect
kenny
Grafter

McDonalds is good for free net access, I use it all the time when I`m not at home
Trebor
Grafter

According to the link BT Openzone isn't available to Plusnet customers.
Dial up, isn't that just for those who have older PC's and Laptops?
Recently in the market for both a new laptop and PC, I don't remember any of the hundreds I looked at having a dial up modem installed..
Off topic I know but relevant none the less to those wanting internet access away from home.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

What makes you think that?, it is available, but it is not free you have to pay for it.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Trebor

Recently in the market for both a new laptop and PC, I don't remember any of the hundreds I looked at having a dial up modem installed..
Off topic I know but relevant none the less to those wanting internet access away from home.

Some laptops do still have a built-in modem and some don't.  There isn't any hard and fast rule on it.  Guess some manufacturers decide it's not  necessary and save a bit of money by not installing one.
Trebor
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre

What makes you think that?, it is available, but it is not free you have to pay for it.

The small clue in when I click the Openzone link, it tells me that it's not available to Plusnet customers.
Quote from: artmo
Quote from: Trebor

Some laptops do still have a built-in modem and some don't.  There isn't any hard and fast rule on it.  Guess some manufacturers decide it's not  necessary and save a bit of money by not installing one.

Speaking to the many Computer manufacturers in my search for a new PC and Laptop, the overwhelming thought I came away with was that they' are being phased out because they are going the way of the floppy disk.
My point stands, as more manufacturers drop the modem then the dial up number us going to become pointless, and is already pointless to many who now have modem-less computers
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've just been looking at a number of laptops made by Gateway and they all seem to have modems.  They make the point that if BB goes down on you then it is still possible to connect.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well thay used to give access to Openzone, dont know what happened  to it see here
Also help and support here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_broadband_faq.shtml#2