Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmmm what a pickle!

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Hmmm what a pickle!

Morning
OK, So, TalkTalk have bought into my local exchange (they are the only person who has so far). My old man and a mate of mine signed up due to the cost (cheap cheap).
I know they are phoning me tonight (they phoned last night but the wfie told them i was out.
My problem is that its well documented how bad there customer service is, but if it it works and i get the same 12MB connection my dad gets (for half the price of plusnet i might add!)  How can i possible turn it down.
The ONLY thingh putting me off so far is that my old man gets 12MB and my mate gets 4MB, and they are about the same distance to exchange. This worries me a little.
I understand i dont need a MAC to switch (although the cessation charge will no doubt require to be paid)
Should i stay or should i go now  Undecided
27 REPLIES 27
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Hmmm what a pickle!

The trouble with customer service is that if you don't use it or need it then it doesn't matter how good or bad it is.
Therein lies the dilemma. Undecided
As my income reduces I empathise more with your situation Cry
I do feel a certain loyalty to PN as do many here (not reciprocated I'm sure as ultimately PN is a business) but it's your money to spend wherever you feel gives best value.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I have never really has to use Plusnet's customer service and considering any ISP will be coming though the same wires, part of me thinks i should give them a go. Its only 12 months after all !
BUT, i have never had any downtime and i like the fact that my broadband works, it just works. All the time 24/7 with Plusnet  Undecided
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: mrmarkus1981
BUT, i have never had any downtime and i like the fact that my broadband works, it just works. All the time 24/7 with Plusnet  Undecided

There is no evidence to suggest other ISPs are completely incapable and incompetent, although clearly they are all capable of being useless in their own way.
Other ISPs *must* be able to get it right some of the time though - or else how would they be in business?
If the product you buy now is a decent product, for a price you are happy to pay - stick with it.
If you want to change product or price, no harm in looking around.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Good point, i will see what price they offer and if it is indeed half of what i pay now, im offski.
Will post back tomorrow if it is indeed farewell from me  Cry
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: mrmarkus1981

I understand i dont need a MAC to switch (although the cessation charge will no doubt require to be paid)

Use a MAC code as this will avoid the cessation charge and minimise downtime. The only time a MAC is not used is when going to cable.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am fairly sure you don't use a MAC for moving to full LLU and you still get charged a cessation fee as the BT line is effectively being ceased
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're absolutely spot on there Jim
Jojo Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Whatt's the difference between  SMPF and  MPF and why should a MPF incur a cessaton charge. Both remove Broadband from the BT equipment and the cessation is for Broadband and not telephony. So what happen if you go the SMPF route first, which just transfer the broadband and than at a later date move the telephony across. Or are you saying both SMPF and MPF will cause a cessation charge?
itsme
Grafter

Thinking about it more it does not make sense from an OFCOM point of view charging a cessation fee to move from BT to a LLU provider as surely this will stop users moving from BT.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, just to clear this up. A cessation fee is charged when broadband is ceased from a BT line. If you were to move to another company on that BT line then no charge is levied as the broadband is staying on the BT line but with another ISP. If the broadband is transferred to full LLU then the broadband on the BT line has to be ceased. If the customer decides that they just don't want broadband anymore then the cessation charge would apply.
Jojo Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Sorry but can you clarify full LLU.
You have MPF which is Broadband and telephony going over to LLU and SMPF which is just Broadband going over to LLU. Do both SMPF and MPF incur the cessation charge?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Quote from: Joanne
If the broadband is transferred to full LLU then the broadband on the BT line has to be ceased.

Full LLU is, as you say, MPF and there is a cessation charge. No MAC required
Quote from: Joanne
If you were to move to another company on that BT line then no charge is levied as the broadband is staying on the BT line but with another ISP.

SMPF,(other ISP on a BT line) No cessation fee, MAC code required.
Jojo Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Sorry but you do not understand SMPF this is when the broadband is on LLU equipment and the telephony is on BT equipment what you have described is BT Wholesale resale packaged.

If I go to Sky/Easynet they inform me to ask for a MAC and this is to go either SMPF or MPF
Great news - you're in a Sky Broadband network area, so you can choose from Sky Broadband Everyday Lite or Unlimited. You can also benefit from free evening and weekend UK* landline calls with Sky Talk and you'll save £5 per month on Sky Broadband with any Sky Talk calls packageSwitching to Sky BroadbandYou currently have broadband with another provider. That's no problem, but if you want to take broadband with Sky, you will need to ask your provider for a 'MAC' (Migration Authorisation Code), so we can switch you to Sky with minimal disruption to your service. You can still complete your Sky Broadband order today and opt to provide your MAC at a later date if you don't have it yet. Your monthly payments will not begin until you have provided the code and your broadband is activated.
]

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What Joanne has said is correct.
AFAIK, the reason a switch to MPF incurs a cessation fee whilst SMPF doesn't is due to differences in the re-jumpering of the distribution frames that's required for each type of order. It's a similar story for migrations using a MAC.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵