cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmmm - a mistake??

johnnyuk

Hmmm - a mistake??

Hiya
I think I have ordered the wrong broadband package for my usage and wanted to ask advice before I raise it with PlusNet.
I chose the PlusNet Pro package because I was told by a online chat advisor PN that it had lower latency and would be the fastest way to surf.  I realised there was a data usage limit, but thought I'd never get close.
Since cutover to the new service (originally BT Broadband), I can't say I've noticed any speed differences.  In addition, I've had my first bill and have gone over my limit (by 2GB).
So, my questions are:

• Should I notice a speed difference?
    What is PlusNet Pro compared with the other packages?
    Will PN let me change to the unlimited package?
    Will the Unlimited package be slower than PlusNet Pro?

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance!
John

2 REPLIES 2
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Hmmm - a mistake??

On Pro you shouldn't see slowdowns (but it can't be made to go faster than the technology allows so it wouldn't be faster than BT at it's fastest).
Compare the traffic shaping here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping2.htm
There will be times of the day when any other Plusnet package is not as fast as Pro.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
scootie
Grafter

Re: Hmmm - a mistake??

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml the expected speeds over PN's package's worth noting web browsing an streaming ect which is not noted on those tables is all at line speed 24/7 the whole point of the traffic mangment is to insure best performence of interactive traffic
you may not see a great diffrence form your old isp on the general speed on the pro package.
and better gaming latency on the pro package is only real if the game you was playing was not picked up right by PN traffic mangment which would mean on unlimited or value you would have to capture the traffic with wireshark and inform PN so they could get sig for the games traffic which would then give the game the same latency over all PN's products. which would take around week for them to do
for xbox an ps3 this isnt great problem as the default sig for the cosoles work great ie ive never had a problem with any XBL games due to port 3074 being used across the board