Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit my usage allowance

mattdanielc
Grafter

Hit my usage allowance

Hi guys
Hit my usage allowance last week  - the emails from plusnet says I just need to increase my usage allowance to get my speed back to normal - and I did this online last week (barely the connection is awful - how are you supposed to do anything?!) but my speed is still awful - how else can I get it back to normal?  I tried to phone earlier but I was on hold for ages...
I actually phoned PlusNet last week to complain due to previous issues and asked for a MAC code.  In the end they persuaded me to stay - but have moved me to Plusnet extra (was on the old Option 2 plan) and will send me a free router - but this won't arrive till after the 7th January Sad
14 REPLIES 14
mattdanielc
Grafter

Re: Hit my usage allowance

For those interested... my old router stats (check out the noise margin!)
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 3648 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 24.9 dB 16.0 dB
Line Attenuation 35.0 dB 19.0 dB
Output Power 19.8 dBm 12.1 dBm
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 115 15
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 16 8
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 2 8
D (interleaver depth) 16 4
Super Frames 12432715 12432713
Super Frame Errors 2698 12
RS Words 422712322 105678060
RS Correctable Errors 108672 100
RS Uncorrectable Errors 46357 0
HEC Errors 2295 2
OCD Errors 274 0
LCD Errors 0 0
ES Errors 0 0
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mattdanielc,
Your account was showing as fixed which wouldn't allow you to add extra usage. I have now changed this so you will be able to use your internet properly again.
Jojo Smiley
mattdanielc
Grafter

Hi Joanne
Many thanks for doing this Smiley
My connection is still slower than normal...but back to constant again - will it take a while to reach my old speeds?
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mattdanielc,
You have a data transfer cap set on your account which you have now reached so this will be what has restricted your speed again.
Jojo Smiley
mattdanielc
Grafter

Hi Joanne
How do I stop this data transfer cap?  My speed definitely seemed faster last night but just want to check if there's anything else I can do before my big 'move' tomorrow! Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mattdanielc,
click here and you'll be able to change it.
Jojo Smiley
mattdanielc
Grafter

Thanks for all your help Joanne.
Just logged in to that address... looks like I have been moved over to Extra now so I won't change anything.
Is there any way I can check if the router has been sent over to me?  It's down on the help assistant as an open question.
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mattdanielc,
I've just checked and the router is now being processed.
Jojo Smiley
mattdanielc
Grafter

Hi Joanne
Some people call you the legend of Plus Net customer service - I just prefer to call you Joanne Wink
Many many thanks for chasing all of my issues.
Matt
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've been called many things, but never a legend. Thank you Smiley
mattdanielc
Grafter

Hi Joanne / Plus net
One more question please Smiley
My new router arrived (Netgear N30 / DGN2200) on Saturday - thanks for the speedy delivery.  Picked it up last night from royal mail but there's no plus net instructions. 
Can I just ask...
Do I use the CD that comes with the router and that's all I neet to set it up?
WIll I be able to set it up wirelessly or will I need to have my PC connected via ethernet to set it up?
And finally...am I right in saying that my username needed for the router is different from my email address?
Thanks Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mattdanielc,
Yes, you must (well, we strongly recommend) use the CD for initial set up via ethernet. It will set up your wireless during the installation too. Your username is the same as what you use to log on to the member center in the format of username@plusdsl.net with the same password you use for member center also.
Jojo Smiley
mattdanielc
Grafter

Hi Joanne
Just after a bit of advice please... I tried to setup the router about 15 times last night (running through the setup screen) but it kept on failing with a variety of different messages appearing.  Eventually it just suddenly worked - no idea why it just did.  So now I'm worried even though I've setup the router and it's working fine wirelessly too, if I switch it off I'm worried it may not work again?
Here were the problems:
1) The setup said the router is only working right if the following LED's were lit:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm89/mattdanielc/IMAG0085.jpg
However the LED light between the DSL link and the wireless was red.  Sadly the manual does not tell me what that light means.  (can you tell from the picture?)
2) When trying to manually setup I could not connect to the router - the IP address and the www.routerlogin.net would not work.  It would simply hang and then give up.  However once it did work - but when I put in the router username and password it just hung again and then stopped.
3) During the setup it eventually reached a screen asking for my plusnet username info.  However it kept on switching between "IPoA connection detected" and "PPPoE connection detected" which I thought was strange as I tried the 15 odd times.
4) This message came up a lot:
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm89/mattdanielc/IMAG0089.jpg
5) Often even though it would give the message above - when entering my username etc if I entered the wrong information (e.g. testing1234@plusdsl.net) it would recognise that it was wrong and ask me to try again.  So I would enter my correct username but then it would give the error message.  But it seemed to know what was fake and what was right?!
6) A couple of times during the setup the LEDs would suddenly start going funny - even the power LED turned to red - even when the other LEDs were still green!
Hope you can advise?
Cheers
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI mattdanielc,
When I tested it everything went peachy so I'm not sure about all the answers as I didn't encounter the same issues. The guy who was responsible for getting them checked out is not in this week so I will ask him the more detailed stuff next week.
1. That is the internet light and when it's red it will be detecting the internet but not authenticating.
2. I would suggest a factory reset.
3. The one is set up chose PPPoE so I just left it as that.
4. Try another ethernet cable/port
5. Clever.
6. Factory reset.
Jojo Smiley