Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Line Attenuation

jow
Dabbler

High Line Attenuation

Hi,
I've recently been upgraded to ADSL2+ /21CN but have noticed my Line Attenuation has doubled.
It's at 61db down at the mo and 14.5db up!! Sync speed is 4.9mb.
This seems high to me as I'm only a mile from the exchange...
Before the switch over the attenuation was around 30db,  and syncing at 8mb.  my neighbour who is also with PN has a Line Attenuation of 31db ,9mb sync, connected to the same exchange also on ADSL2+.
I've tried afew re-sync's but this has just caused the the speed to drop half a meg, so I thought I'd come on here for some help.
Any ideas? Or is this just gonna settle after a few days?
Justin
10 REPLIES 10
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: High Line Attenuation

It's fairly normal for downstream line attenuation to increase when switching from ADSL to ADSL2+ but the increase is usually around 3db but not double Shocked
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Routefinder
Grafter

I wonder whether such a jump in attenuation means they not only switched you onto a new 21CN card in the exchange but swapped your line pair to one that comes on a way longer physical route than you had before..................but why that should happen seems way strange???
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Raise a fault.
There is no way the down attenuation can be that high with an up attenuation of 14.5dB
jow
Dabbler

Thanks guys, raising a fault was the next move just wasn't sure if this was a typical think to happen...
Justin
jow
Dabbler

Well this appears to be a problem with my router, connected using my old router and the attenuation has dropped to 29.5db and syncing at 8.1mb!!
So much for the fancy ADSL2+ supported Netgear router then!!!
Many thanks,
Justin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Which Netgear router and which firmware version?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jow
Dabbler

DGND 3700, latest firmware I guess as no new ones when I check via the router.
x47c
Grafter

Sounds to me from the figures as if the OP has been put on ADSL1 from the 21CN network....... if they are still at 8Mb sync at 29dB attenuation
(or that the DLM has decided to revert to ADSL1 when it found a non ADSL2+ compatible router )
jow
Dabbler

do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?
My router which was giving me 61db attenuation is ADSL2+ compatable. I don't think my old router which i'm using now is though.
dick:quote
jow
Dabbler

Ok so I've now done a firmware upgrade on my old router (which is ADSL2+ compatable) and i'm now getting 29.5db attenuation and 9.3mb sync speed Smiley