cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Data Useage...From Only Causal Browsing...

Thumb866
Grafter

High Data Useage...From Only Causal Browsing...

There is no way I have used close to to 2GB from just browsing sites...Haven't even streamed or downloaded anything. What gives?
10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: High Data Useage...From Only Causal Browsing...

Has your operating system updated in the last couple of days? Or anything installed on your PC?
If you'd like I can give you an hourly breakdown of the last couple of days showing the usage by hour?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jpoore
Hooked

Hello,
Over what sort of time period are we talking here? Depending on your usage type on the web (plain text sites, image heavy, flash heavy) this could be normal for the majority of our customers in a week. For a moderate to light user this would be a normal amount for maybe 3 weeks usage and for a very light user a normal month.
I do need to stress 2GB could easily be used in a day depending on if you did any updates, downloads or even just had the computer on and used it from time to time throughout the day. In some cases your machine will download updates in the background and sometimes you won't even notice, as I wrote this my machine is 38% through downloading my most recent batch.
James
SiMania
Grafter

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104681.0.html
I saw this too recently. See the thread above, I got (and gave) some good advice.
Ado16
Grafter

To coin a phrase - "Why oh Why!" don't Plusnet advise everyone to go to the Surf icon on the Connections Settings page the moment their account becomes active?  Shocked  With one click of the "Port Restriction" button your usage levels become what would deemed to be normal!  It really is a bit of a Swizz that people aren't informed of this straight away.  Almost tempted to ask for a "Usage" time refund.  Actually, I think I might!
Another idea would be for the powers that be to set a restriction as the Default setting in the first place.
JEB
Grafter

@ado16
Well because most people know exactly what their computers are doing and have no need to restrict ports!  How exactly is it a swizz!
If you have found that restricting ports has cut your (unexpected) usage then your question should be what is your PC doing which you aren't aware.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

JEB, whilst I agree totally with your second point about being aware of what your PC is doing, I can't agree with the first point. There will I'm afraid be lots of users who haven't got a clue exactly what their computer is doing, from down loading one update or another - MS, AV or whatever, to doing things they hadn't realised they'd installed (you know, all the add-ons that come with the pre-ticked boxes and nobody reads it all - they should!). And of course there is the possible virus or spam bot that may get through basic defences.
Ado16 does have a point. There was a time when Plusnet did mention the Safe Surf setting and the Firewall somewhere in their introductory information, and it really ought to be there. I'd almost forgotten about Safe Surf, I set mine a very long time ago.
Users who don't need/want to use such apps or ports are well advised to make use of Safe Surf and the Firewall to suit their needs, not forgetting the enormous benefit on dial-up if one needs to use it when away from base.
msssltd
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
JEB, whilst I agree totally with your second point about being aware of what your PC is doing, I can't agree with the first point.

I don't think you will find a correct answer.  
To borrow a phrase from a favourite film.  The greatest trick the IT industry played was convincing everyone it is easy!
It comes down to expectations as far as I can see.  Those that know no better expect to plug in their PCs and have everything just work the way they imagine it should work.  Those that have gone to the time and effort to know better, know that PCs don't just work and don't expect them to.
So it comes down to who do you wish to see inconvenienced?  The guy with the spam spewing, bot infected PC who oversteps the monthly allowance in a day.  Or the guy struggling to get his X-Box connected to Live, because PN have blocked the ports.   Take your pick.
There was a time when Plusnet did mention the Safe Surf setting and the Firewall somewhere in their introductory information,

I tend to think that when instructions are provided, the people who really need to read them will be the people that choose not to read them, until it is too late.  The same people that select the default install option or neglect to read the warnings about opening e-mail attachments, and all the other simple advice for avoiding trojan and malware infection.  In fact (too) many people will refuse to read instructions simply because they contain unfamiliar words, like 'Trojan' and 'Malware'.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You left one thing out of that lot msssltd, the EULA  Grin Mind you I think most of us (all of us) will be guilty of not reading those  Lips_are_sealed most of the time. We want or need the software, we know it's ok (not), it comes from MS or Adobe  Roll_eyes    Did you read the one with the Last Flash update  Huh
(I'm not suggesting there was anything wrong with it  - a tick just went in the box)  Crazy
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i think the worst thing is when people like Adobe tag on extra Downloads to the main one if you dont read and just click ok you just soon fill up with unwanted Poop , latest one i hve found is Download.com use their download then you can download manager then you get  what you asked for Sad its surprising how many add on Google chrome to their software , or norton .
Main thing is read before you click OK
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
msssltd
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
You left one thing out of that lot msssltd, the EULA 

Not so much left out as put aside Wink
Instruction manuals are distinct.  They are documents of fact, describing what will or what does happen.
One of the things I like about my career is, for the most part, I am working directly with machines that can only work the way they do work.  There ain't no point trying to argue with them.
A EULA is a vague agreement.  It describes what one party would like to happen but such is open to interpretation and so to argument.
Mind you I think most of us (all of us) will be guilty of not reading those

I am not a lawyer but I am often paid to read technology license agreements.  Most of the EULAs I have read are based on US law and, in my opinion, would not be worth the paper they are written on in a UK court.  Over here consumers have statutory rights that can not be signed away, which often seems to confuse the Mercans.  To the best of my knowledge, where UK consumers have fallen foul of the courts, they were prosecuted for breaking UK laws, rather than breaking the terms of some companies  EULA.  I should point out commercial enterprises are in a different legal position.
Did you read the one with the Last Flash update  Huh

Did you read that Microsoft, Apple and Google have all lost cases in European courts, despite the claims made in their EULAs Wink
The best advice I can give.  If it seems wrong, it probably is wrong.