Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Hi from me too!

I suspect you haven't got a master socket - can we have a pic please
MommaCat
Grafter

Check!  You want me to get a photo of the downstairs phone socket now, oldjim?
paulrwselby
Dabbler

Looking at the photo it would appear the incoming BT cable from outside is the black one on the right. It is an old style junction box and there seems to be two cable running from it. From earlier posts it seems that one goes the BT Master socket and the other to another socket.
As Oldjim said this is not correct, I believe there are two options here.
1)  Replace JB with a BT Master socket. ( This is not allowed as only BT should wire the incoming cable to the master socket)
2) Identify which of the two cables goes to the existing master socket and remove the other one from the JB shown.  If the extension from this is required then this should be re-routed or re-run from the Master socket to where it is required.
If it were me I would replace the JB shown with a new one wiring as in 2 above. The old JB is a very old design prior to the new IDC connections ans is showing signs of corrosion and could give rise to problems with the joints in it.
To summarise:  The existing installation does not comply with BT's wiring and needs to be put right, doing this will almost certainly bring your speeds up to what your neighbours are getting.  My preferred option is to get "someone" who knows what they are doing to fit a new Master socket to replace the old JB shown and wire new extensions from this, either using the existing cable which seems to be the correct CW1308 spec or new cable, which is not expensive.
I hope this is of some help.
Paul.
MommaCat
Grafter

Thanks Paul!  You are correct in the assumptions made in your first paragraph. 
In view of what you have said, my thoughts now are, if this wiring is not to BT specifications, should they not put that right free of charge?  I would, of course, appreciate that the extension cabling within the house is my responsibility.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: MommaCat
Check!  You want me to get a photo of the downstairs phone socket now, oldjim?
yes please
MommaCat
Grafter

This is the socket in the hall.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Actually that has a removable bottom half but don't bother unscrewing it as it is fed by a single wire
pierre_pierre
Grafter

she should think her self lucky. I  have only this (but feeds a single old plug socket), But in my case if it aint broke, why try and fix it
MommaCat
Grafter

Well PP, if you are getting good speeds, no need to replace it!  I'm not I'm afraid!
Oldjim - I notice others are uploading small pics from their hard drives, but I used Photobucket as I find it automatically resizes them for use on forums.  Are small pictures preferred on this forum?  If so, I will resize my Pics on the hard drive in future.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

re picture sizes - given the number and size of picture Pierre posts your few pictures won't make any difference. Basically they need to be big enough to show what you want - otherwise it is up to you
MommaCat
Grafter

OK - thanks Jim!
MommaCat
Grafter

I have just contacted BT by email and asked if I would be charged if they changed the junction box. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on the Picture front, it depends on what you want to show, if it marries in with the text, Photobucket or in my case Flickr are best, but of course you have to waste time uploading them.  if you just want to show a picture, like I did on the last one, then using the Additional Options at the bottom of the input is probably preferable, the resulting pic, if clicked will enlarge up to the size of the original or to fit to screen if that is too big.
MommaCat
Grafter

Thanks PP!
I think all I can do now is wait and see what BT say - mind you I'm not hopeful of getting it done free.  I do tend to use the P Word (Pensioner) when it suits me!  If that does not work, I will ask for estimates and see what I can afford - just the box being renewed or re-wiring as well.
Thanks for all your assistance everybody! Kiss
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You should try to get the box located to where it suits you although the bedroom may not be too good an idea.