Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here we go again.

chippie
Dabbler

Here we go again.

After about a month of trouble free service it's all gone belly up
again gone from 1,2 download speed to .136 over the last couple of
days.Not change or altered anything routers been on 24/7.
Help please.
17 REPLIES 17
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Here we go again.

Something changed, even if only temporarily.  Perhaps there was a thunderstorm or something like that?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chippie,
That little block of disconnections yesterday around midday was actually 6 disconnections. This is what's caused the problem you now have. Your SNR has jumped up to 21dB as a consequence which has brought your sync rate dramatically down. Are you using extension sockets/cables? Follow the troubleshooting tips here and we can see how best to approach it once you have.
Jojo Smiley
chippie
Dabbler

Not noticed any disconnections that you mentioned.No I'.m not using any
extensions or sockets as I've said nothing different now than when the speed
was slow but bearable at the moment it's next to useless.Done the trouble-
shooting questionnaire so for now I'll leave it in your capable hands. 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chippie,
I don't understand. You said you've tried the troubleshooting tips, but they involve changing things (router/filter/test socket etc.) but then you say nothing has changed.
I understand your reasoning saying that nothing has changed since it was ok but electrical equipment does this all the time, rather like a fridge or washing machine that works one day but doesn't the next. There's no reason for it, we just accept it and either replace it or troubleshoot it, only then will we know what's happened.
Jojo Smiley
chippie
Dabbler

HI Jojo.
I have done all it suggested in the troubleshooter with the exception of changing the router
when I said nothing has change I was referring to the sockets and cables.
As for the washing machine fridge theory if there broke it's obvious there broke because
they don't work.My routers working.
Last test. Down= 0.24mbs  Up= 0.37mbs
chippie
Dabbler

Why do I get the feeling that this problems going to go on for weeks again Undecided
Denzil
Grafter

Your equipment may not have obviously changed, but even modern electronic components can deteriorate over time. Your internet signals are also being transmitted down a long piece of unshielded wire between you and the exchange. It can pick up variable amounts of interference, weather corrodes joints and all sorts of other things can happen that you are not in control of and yes, it can sometimes take a while to get to the bottom of it.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI chippie
As there's nothing obvious I can see and you have tried troubleshooting, we'll just have to wait to see what the faults team come up with.
Jojo Smiley
chippie
Dabbler

Back again  Angry after about 10 days of relatively good speed .96  Grin over the last couple of days
it's gone back to .24 can someone please let me know whats going on or better still fix it.
Please don't start with check this, check that, check the other because I'm 100% convinced
it's got nothing to do with the installation.I wait in anticipation.
Stewthecue
Grafter

Have BT been digging up any roads nearby that you know of?
I've having the same problems, and the only theory i've been able to come up with is that BT have buggered something up.
A bt engineer was digging up my road about a month ago to ready us for fibre, and then a couple of days later i noticed my speeds were shocking. Of course i can't prove the connection, but if someone else had noticed the same thing...
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Stewthecue
Have BT been digging up any roads nearby that you know of?

I agree, Openreach had been doing work in our area causing multiple disconnections - no problems before, current Sync 5500k but actual Down 250k and SNR 32dB - just waiting for stable connection again!
Derek
chippie
Dabbler

No BT haven't been doing any work well not that I'm aware of.Just been reading a few of the
post on this forum seems to be a lot of speed problems at the moment?
Having said that if someones getting a speed of lets say 4 and it drops down to 2.4 it's a
problem sure enough.But they can still use the service in my case when it drops it become
utterly useless
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

The last couple of replies to this thread struck a chord - I've got what appears to be a stuck BT profile @ 4000 ,even tho' I'm synching at 8096 with an SNR of 8.5. Couldn't work out why the profile had dropped from its normal 7000.....then I remembered that there were two Openreach vans parked up the road by the cabinet last Friday..... wonder what they cocked up  Grin
chippie
Dabbler

Enough of everybody else's problem anyone from Plusnet going to reply to this post.