cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with ping plotter

user254
Hooked

Help with ping plotter

Hi having had Openreach out so many times its not funny im trying to ascertain what the issues here we have. 

I am using a mixture of net Uptime Monitor to monitor connection (alerts if ping time exceeds 200ms for 10secs) and Ping plotter.

Trying to understand ping plotter for example today i see some variations can someone explain why hop3 is so bad ? I was under the impression 137/136 nodes are the plusnet router or hub connections(why are there 2?) in the btexchange? The first one you can see is poor in fact both pretty bad, thoughts welcome.

137.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk looks really bad.. 

136.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk

16 REPLIES 16
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Help with ping plotter

Trying to examine the performance of the router to exchange link using ping plot is not a sound approach. Responding to persistent pings is a low priority task for a server and could be treated as a DoS attack.

What is the problem you perceive which brought to to undertake ping testing? What do your router stats look like?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

user254
Hooked

THanks for your reply here.

Latency according to online speed tests seems erratic, speed download tests 1min i have 10mb down the next about 2mb (using btwholesale test).

How do i view router logs?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Download tests over WiFi or Ethernet with WiFi turned off on the testing device?

Variable speed tests can have a number of causes.

WiFi performance

Concurrent activity on the test device / in the home (other devices)

Line noise and error corrections

Back haul capacity (exchange congestion)

Gateway performance

Unless these have been eliminated sequentially the variable ping could be down to any of those factors. Have you performed a quiet line test? Can you please post your router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

user254
Hooked

All tests here are from my main PC which is connected via cat6 short run to Plusnet router so no wifi issues.

And for example just not viewing this page i get DNS errors with

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG 

A refresh few minutes wait and i am back online again. Seems i keep getting connection drops. 

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ82038094
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 10/03/19
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 1 days, 15:37:57
6. Data rate: 1165 / 11385
7. Maximum data rate: 1165 / 12967
8. Noise margin: 6.8 / 8.3
9. Line attenuation: 25.3 / 35.9
10. Signal attenuation: 16.6 / 29.0
11. Data sent/received: 17.4 GB / 223.3 GB
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thank you for that inforamtion - very helpful!

The router stats indicate that xDSL is not being lost, but the SNRM on the down side is a bit high.  Have you checked the line for noise?

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

user254
Hooked

Thanks again for your time here, fyi we are about 1.7km from our green box with quite a few junctions along the way. Are we ever going to improve on the SNR etc? 

Weve had openreach out about 4 times in the last 2weeks between us and our neighbour (we are the only two on the end the line here).

Openreach are saying the line is 'ok'. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Well for an ADSL line a SNRM greater than 6dB on ADSL2+ generally points to a line being adjusted for stability. One should not confuse no fault was found with there being no fault to be found.

Did you do the QLT?

user254
Hooked

Thankyou again for your reply. Ok well i only have a cordless phone next to the base station. There is line noise as when i unplug line the phone from the socket it's significantly quieter when testing the quiet line option 2. 

But of course this is nothing without testing and proving with meters, what can i say to OPenreach 'oh it sounds noisy to me' when they respond with 'our testing shows it's within tolerance' back in the day i used to have a meter i could test line noise for Facsimile. I have no equipment to substantiate this now,

The openreach engineers that visit really don't give a FF. It seems to be to them all about Keeping the lights on, pay a visit and FO. LAst visit they told me the line was good for 17mb which is bs ive only ever seen 11mb at best via openreach speed test.

The engineers have admitted on many occasions because of the low population where we are it makes us a low priority due to low revenue, and hence our nearest box (FTTC box) is nearly 2km away.

I don't believe Plusnet is at fault here i think Openreach just don't give a Sh, and there's nothing Plusnet can do as a customer about it, problem is this in turn gives them a bad name as i would reckon many of the issues customers complain about are not related to QOS upstream it's the hardware and local line issues out of their hands.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Keep monitoring. If it’s intermittent noise, report it as being intermittent.

user254
Hooked

i will try but when i do plusnet look at the retraining reports and if they don't see any they wont raise a ticket. 

But without doubt my connection here is constantly bad. The only tools i have are the uptime monitor and the ping plotter. What else can i use to monitor my connection/?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Which router are you using?

user254
Hooked

Standard 'plosnet' router. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, but which one - there are a number of “Plusnet standard routers”. Look at the router stats page.

user254
Hooked

I did paste this info further up?
Is this the right detail

Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ82038094
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 10/03/19
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One