Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with WEIRD fault anyone?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Help with WEIRD fault anyone?

I've lost all sense of what is going on in this thread.  Looks like anotherbob loses touch with his DNS server quite frequently.  And his DNS is provided by the router.  He has got a 582n and by all accounts changing the DNS server on that router is so incredibly difficult that I presume it is still set to the Plusnet default.  If the Plusnet default DNS servers were out of action we would surely know about it.  So the router must either be faulty or badly out of kilter.  Or so I would have thought.
A workaround would be to set the DNS server on his network adaptor and thus override whatever the router is up to.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Unless it's been changed, the modem/router is set to obtain the IP & DNS addresses automatically by default.
Can't agree with the conclusion there - just because the computer is not seeing a server whose IP address is not known (normally returned by DNS) doesn't mean the router is the problem. Coincidently I had a similar issue yesterday (not using a 582n), no problem with servers I was already connected to, I could ping by IP address, but not by name. A computer re-boot solved it. Sometimes settings get corrupted and in the case above tjd suggested some commands to reset tcp/ip and correct any socket errors which can result in inabilty to connect.
I saw a thread recently where there was an issue which turning off IPv6 resolved (it's not in use yet) so my suggestion is something else to try if the problem persists.
Other than that, the output from ipconfig /all looks fine, no problem with the router settings. That of course doesn't mean the router hasn't got it's knickers in a twist and it might need a reboot, but I would try that last if the above failed.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
Coincidently I had a similar issue yesterday .... A computer re-boot solved it.

Quote from: anotherbob
This is happening at least once a day. Has anyone any ideas on what's wrong and what's to be done?
(p.s. I have done all the tests involving connecting the router to the test socket, and connecting a laptop by LAN cable.

So maybe somebody should have checked if anotherbob ever switches off his computer?!?  Or if the problem affects more than one computer (as the reference to " a laptop" might imply).
anotherbob
Grafter

Thanks for your thoughts on this problem.
I have to report that there was a recurrence last night after I had carried out tjd's suggestion.
To clear up any uncertainty as to my setup.... we have two computers, my own desktop and a laptop mainly used by my wife. Both are switched off overnight, the router is not. Both suffer from the problem, indeed sometimes it is my wife who draws it to my attention. The router settings have not been altered by me in any way. During my last session on the helpline I was taken through the router reset procedure (involving a paperclip and a small hole in the back.) so I assume the router is in its default state.
It was only after this failed to sort things out that i tried the "disconnect/reconnect" procedure through the router's admin pages.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Then I think it is certain that the problem lies with your router.  If I were you, I would call Plusnet and get them to talk you thorough resetting the router to its factory state.  If that fails then your router must be faulty and I don't see how Plusnet could disagree with that diagnosis. 
anotherbob
Grafter

Thanks for coming back.
Would the procedure you recommend be different from the reset procedure (involving the paperclip) which they took me through previously?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

No, that's it exactly.  As that didn't work then ask for a replacement router.  Explain that you see the same problem on both your computers over a period of time during which the computers are switched off and on and you have already reset the router.
anotherbob
Grafter

Thanks.
I will contact them.
Anotherone
Champion

@Reed, I think you have missed the point. Your automatic assumption was that the modem/router was at fault (which it might turn out to be). My point was that there are plenty of instances where the computer can cause the problem and my example was to highlight that and tjd's advice was likewise.
Now anotherbob has just mentioned that he see's the problem on TWO computers, a fact that wasn't mentioned  before - the previous reference to "a laptop" did not imply that two computers saw the problem as plenty of people only have a laptop which they use wirelessly rather than by LAN cable.
This information now implies that something is getting screwed up in the modem/router. The fact that a Connect/Disconnect solves it again confirms that. A full reset of the modem/router by using the reset at the rear is not justified, likewise nor should you consider a reboot, until all other avenues have been explored. As I hope you can appreciate both the last two involve loss of sync with the exchange which as a general rule, should be avoided if possible.
Now, the fact that something is getting screwed up in the modem/router does not imply it is faulty hardware. This could be down to firmware bugs (which a replacement modem/router will not solve) only firmware upgrades will fix that. Or it could be a combinations of settings that clash - the latter may be attributed to a firmware shortcoming after analysis.
@anotherbob, have you tried turning off IPv6 in the 582n?
Also, are you setting up any customised settings, such as port forwarding, DMZ etc.?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I tend to agree with ReedRichards - it's 99% certain that DNS lookups by the router are failing.
Next time it goes wrong can you run the following commands:
nslookup bbc.co.uk
nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.9

and post the results back here please.

(Do those routers have a diagnostic utility in their interface to test a DNS lookup? If so that would be worth trying)
My recommendation would be to set the DNS servers on the PCs and stop using the router for DNS.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
anotherbob
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Next time it goes wrong can you run the following commands:
nslookup bbc.co.uk
nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.9

and post the results back here please.

Would I do this after disconnecting/reconnecting or before, and would I run the commands seperately or together?
Quote from: jelv

(Do those routers have a diagnostic utility in their interface to test a DNS lookup? If so that would be worth trying)
My recommendation would be to set the DNS servers on the PCs and stop using the router for DNS.

Where would I get the settings for the DNS servers to set on my computers?
Anotherone
Champion

Do this nslookups before.
I didn't say otherwise jelv of course DNS look ups are failing  Roll_eyes it's a matter of what's causing it.
Your suggested checks are obviously worth doing as well.
The 582n doesn't have a history of losing and then not finding the DNS servers periodically (unlike some of the Netgear's of late) so it doesn't sound like that sort of issue. Failed DNS lookups due to Network issues are usually short lived, so not that.
I would try setting specific DNS servers on one PC if all else had no effect, and see how things played out. But it won't be a solution to the problem because if things stay screwed up in the router then the Squeezebox will not be able to find the servers it needs next time it is switched on.
Anotherone
Champion

@anotherbob
Have you tried logging into the 582n and turning off the IPv6 stuff yet?
anotherbob
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
@anotherbob, have you tried turning off IPv6 in the 582n?
Also, are you setting up any customised settings, such as port forwarding, DMZ etc.?

1) I haven't tried that, or tried to find out how.
2) I haven't changed any router settings. I believe that since it was reset on the advice of the helpline assistant it must be in its factory state.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes it will be in factory state. Try following jelv's suggestions first next time the problem arises.