Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Browser

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Help with Browser

hi, Not sure if this the correct part of forum to post this but here goes, could some one advise please.
About a week ago I started to have problems with web pages freezing, explorer not responding hence my post earlier ref. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,65713.0.html.
i thought it could have been a problem as stated in my post, i tried it several times and it was still freezing, I had deleted the usuall stuff and it made no difference, I thought why not try firefox and i must say I'm impressed, but I still have a problem, only with one page though, up to now, when I go to the Ancestry.co.uk page Firefox stops working, it does not freeze it just comes up with a message Firefox has stopped working.
Has anyone got any Ideas what could cause the problem, with IE 7 it was several pages I had the problem of freezing but with Firefox it just seems to be the one page, I do a lot of Family History searches and Ancestry is one i use a lot.
Would be gratefull if someone could help, sorry its a bit long winded but thought I'd better explain.
jono
7 REPLIES 7
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Help with Browser

Firefox 3 comes out today. Worth trying that to see if there's a difference?
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, Have installed firefox 3 and it seems to have rectified it.
regards and thanks for info
jono
Heloman
Grafter

I'm glad FF3 has resolved your problem, but I'm puzzled.
I have Firefox v2.0.0.14 and I regularly use http://www.ancestry.co.uk/
Just checked, and its still working fine...
Very strange  Undecided
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've also been having a problem with IE7 for the past week or so. It freezes a lot, and I don't know if it's specific pages causing it. Bringing the app to an end with Task Manager is a right pain, especially if I'm using several tabs.
Is this a common problem that might be connected with a duff M$ update (I've had those before)?
I've also updated to Realplayer 11 recently, and this is a big no-no -- I'll be running back to v10.5 in a minute. Given how duff v11 is at streaming radio -- the only thing I use RP for, -- could it also be affecting IE7?
Not applicable

I too only used RealPlayer for listening to Radio 4 but was thoroughly fed up with the Message Centre. Someone on this forum suggested trying RealAlternative. This I have done and it works fine and it takes up less space. Best of all, no popups. I downloaded it from Filehippo.
Might be worth a try as you are having problems with RP
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You can try Start > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer no add ons
That will load IE without any extra toolbars etc and see if you still experience the same issue.
Google toolbar is the worst offender, I've seen a few browsers with the same symptoms as yours remove the Google toolbar and all the problems vanish.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jono
Aspiring Pro

hi thanks for the help, I'm rather pleased with the Firefox Browser, its a lot more customizable and I'm going to run it for a while.
some of the comments about IE 7 above verify that its possible that one of the updates has started the problem. As for the Ancestry site why it should do that when I've been using it for about 7 years now I don't know.
regards
jono