cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with BT speedtester

Karmik
Grafter

Help with BT speedtester

Run this twice tonight, and got the same result. Can't get any further with it either, since my router requires a password when I try the bt test user thing. Should I raise a ticket?
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: Help with BT speedtester

Hi Karmik,
The BT Speedtester isn't great for reporting throughput.
It's a good tool for finding out your IP Profile though - like yours is 3500Kbps.
Try http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Karmik
Grafter

Hi James,
I was running the test just to see why my IP profile is 3500, when my router always shows 4500 ish? According to my line attenuation, (43) i'm only about 3k from the exchange. I'm no expert on this, and I know distance isn't the only factor, so I'm just looking for reassurance that my speed is normal.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You need to maintain a sync at or above 4544kbps to get an IP Profile of 4000kbps. What are the complete stats (sync speeds, noise margins and attenuations) shown by your router?
David
Karmik
Grafter

Hi spraxyt,
Here they are:  

Downstream Rate:  	 4608 Kbps 	  	 
      Upstream Rate:  448 Kbps  
      Downstream Margin:  9 db  
      Upstream Margin:  20 db  
      Downstream Line Attenuation:  43  
      Upstream Line Attenuation:  23  

I'm not sure about that downstream margin, It's not normally at 9, usually around 3.
Lurker
Grafter

I think that's the answer to your question; if the margin regularly drops below 6dB, and you re-sync during one of these periods, you will sync at a lower rate.
These occurances of syncing at a lower rate will be preventing BT from increasing the IP Profile above its current point.
The key focus needs to be finding out why your line becomes more noisy at times.
If we can reduce the noise on your line, you should find you sync higher, and get the appropriate IP profile etc.
Karmik
Grafter

Well I plugged myself into the master socket last night, seems to still be at 9db now...
Not sure about my master socket either, it doesn't have any wires connected to the faceplate (I was going to disconnect the ring wire, but I don't seem to have one).