Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! vista fibre unidentified network

jarj
Hooked

Help! vista fibre unidentified network

Help I am running out of things to try.
We got our fibre broadband installed last week and every device we have connects to the router no problem except my laptop.
It connects to the internet fine when wired but when working wirelessly it connects and obtains a valid ip address but still says unidentified network so cannot get internet.
When I setup router to have an unsecured network it also works ok, so I assume it is a vista/router security issue.
I have tried :-
Changing security type
Turning off all firewalls
fixed ip address
un-ticking ipv6
Installed a hotfix found on microsofts website
installing plusnet help assistant
updating all windows updates
restoring windows to an earlier time
Has anyone came across this before or have any suggestions ?
I have seen people with similar problems but not with the exact same issue where I do get a valid ip address and I am actually connected to the router.
Any suggestions welcome, thanks

14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Help! vista fibre unidentified network

Hi there,
It definitely looks like you've uncovered most factors in terms of your OS and the PC that could be causing this so I'd look at router security next. It is possible to change the security mode that the router offers (i.e WEP/WPA/WPA2) I'd play around with those alternatives and see if that helps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Install the most up to date drivers for your wireless adaptor?
kmilburn
Grafter

Another possibility is IP Stack corruption..  How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've not heard anyone mention rebuilding a TCP/IP stack for 10+ years! Smiley not knocking the suggestion but I'd check the router encryption and adapter drivers first.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kmilburn
Grafter

I'm not saying it is the problem,  but I've had to do it in the last couple of years, after everything else failed.
And that had similar symptoms, Vista laptop,  both wired and a different wireless router worked, but not the new one we were trying to use.
adagio
Grafter

Does your browser give you an error message? If so what?
MsDizzie
Grafter

I thought Plusnet Assist was supposed to help in these instances?  Roll_eyes
Or am I wrong?  Tongue
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Supposed , maybe
jarj
Hooked

I did play about with security but I'll maybe spend some more time on it.  Another piece of information is that when it connects wirelessly although I get a valid ip I cannot connect or ping the router I suppose because the network I get the ip address from is unidentified ?
It is frustrating as I have tested with friends laptops on xp and 7 and they have been fine.
Thanks for your suggestions, I will try them over the next couple of days and see how I get on.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

jarj,
It would be useful to see the IP configuration details, to do this you need to run a command prompt.  If you know how to do this, please forgive the detailed instructions.
Click start / run type "emd.exe"
In the command window type ipconfig /all
Copy and paste the results here.

You need to check that the IP addressed 'assigned' to the WiFi adapter is in the same sub-net as the router.  A fairly common issue is that (for some reason) the router (DHCP) fails to deliver an IP address and the computer assigns one itself which is never in the same subnet as a typical router configuration.  You should see something like this...
Quote from: ipconfig
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi
Adapter
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-4C-E5-B8-D4-ED
  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
  Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3993:8777:8c2a:264d%11(Preferred)
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
  Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 15 January 2013 20:55:36
  Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 January 2013 20:57:30
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
  DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
  DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 311446757
  DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-B0-04-4B-00-26-9E-BE-CB-17
  DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
  NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

The parts highlighted must be identical.
HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jarj
Hooked

Another update, it has now connected via wep.  I only just checked this post so have not checked the ip config using the WPA2 Security however I remember the subnet mask as being 255.255.255.0 when I originally had problems.
So basically now I can connect via wep and probably all other devices will to.  Does this point to my WPA2 security on my laptop and nothing to do with my new router not working correctly ?  (i'll have to check how it was connected to my old belkin)
I suppose also should I just continue using WEP, although not ideal is still secured or should I persist in getting to the bottom of the problem.
Again thanks for your previous replies.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Jarj,
This looks like it becoming a common theme... See here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110978.msg951829.html#msg951829
Regards,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jarj
Hooked

Checked my old router and I was using WPA2 & AES on that also.

My laptop is a sont viao vgn-nr10e, the device manager has two network devices, a lan express802.11g  pci-e adaptor and a marvell Yukon controller.
The windows update for the latest driver never found anything should I go searching the web or am I barking up the wrong tree ?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

You can try getting an updated driver from Sony: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NR10E_S/updates