cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - usage quadrupled

tonycollinet
Grafter

Help - usage quadrupled

Hope you can help. In the last few days/couple of weeks, our internet usage has tripled or quadrupled. (From around 500MB/day to sometimes 2.7GB). There are 4 PC's accessing it regularly.
Is there any way I can get a detailed breakdown of where it is going. Internet activities shows most of it as being web.
What would BBC I player traffic be listed as? Any other suggestions.
Router is being switched off until this is sorted.
7 REPLIES 7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Help - usage quadrupled

get rid of I player, when you leave it running, your machine acts as a P2P server for other people.  Thats step one.
More to folloiw
tonycollinet
Grafter

Thanks
I am aware of the issue with I player - but everyone is instructed to exit when not in use. Pluse we have been using I player for months, and this problem has only surfaced in the last couple of weeks. Not ruling it out, but I need to identify WHAT the problem is - not gradually swich stuff off until it goes away.
Hence - detailed logs from plusnet would be ideal - even if not by site accessed, then by time of day would be helpful.
Also - anyone aware of any (preferebly free) software I can install on each machine to log usage?
Thanks.
Santiago
Grafter

You could try thishttp://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/NetMeter.shtml
If you have a wireless set up, is it secure?
Not applicable

I'm pretty sure one of the Comms guys will be able to grab you a hour by hour breackdown for the last week or so.
Just need one of them to see this now...
tonycollinet
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
You could try thishttp://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/NetMeter.shtml
If you have a wireless set up, is it secure?

Unfortunately netmeter only gives all network traffic - and I have network drives.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I've just added an hourly breakdown of usage for the last week to a ticket on your account. Apologies for the formatting, and the multitude of emails you'll have just received, but there was a lot of data to get into one ticket. Smiley
I hope that helps you find out exactly what's using up all the bandwidth there.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Brilliant
Thanks for the support - I'll go home now and have a look.
EDIT:
Thanks Mand - first class. The stats enabled us to ID the PC to blame. It turned out to be "background downloader.exe" a part of world of warcraft on the kids PC. It was continuously downloading at about 50KB/s. It is now disabled.
Two small questions. Firstly, the totaled figures for each day which you gave me are 20+ % lower than those on VMBU. Is there a reason for this?
(EG for 12th and 11th, VMBU = 2.37GB and 2.63GB). When I total the figures in the ticket, it comes to 1.86 and 2.10.
Finally - why did all this extra traffic get put into the Web category. WOW uses a bit torrent protocol for background downloader. If it had been correctly identified as p2p, we would probably have spotted it sooner.