cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed..anyone?

fastconnection
Grafter

Help needed..anyone?

I think I need help. I used to come home and switch on the PC check my emails and bank balance...Ebay etc...A happy man..now since Ive had some problems with the connection and come onto the forum, my head is full off DSL stats and attenuation numbers and now I think I'm obsessed! I keep checking these stats and then begin searches to see what they mean etc etc. Heeeeelp! Is it just me?!!! Is there any hope for me????? 
17 REPLIES 17
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Help needed..anyone?

No hope whatsoever. Now you know how to look at the stats you will be OCD but let me add to it for you, look at your Current Line speed (Login required). This should match the BT IP profile for your LIne which you can get by running the BT Speedtester at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and when the first part is complete, click on the Further Diagnostics button at the bottom of the page. You can do a copy and paste of all this information, I'd suggest you do it in your other thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111182.16.html where you have posted your stats. It will make things easier for everyone to follow.
Unfortunately the Plusnet Current Line speed can lag behind the BT IP profile because the Delta Report that the BT systems are supposed to send to Plusnet for this can sometime take 72hours or so  ::), and manual intervention is required. DCT should be able to do this tomorrow if needed/appropriate.
fastconnection
Grafter

Hi Another one. OK i feel better now I know its not just me.  will post them on the other thread. Gota do something whilst im waiting for speed to get better  Wink
kuga
Grafter

You are not on your own fastconnection I am just as bad
In may or june last year all most of my neighbours started to get letters from bt and would they like something called fast speed fibre internet
funny I thought why haven't I been asked ?
Spoke to plusnett and they did there best and got the answer sorry mate your not connected  to the fttc cabinet (whats that I thought) but direct to the exchange
After a lot of research done on forums and good old google I found I am not the only one with this problem
This is where my life started to take a turn for the worse and the OCD started about getting Fibre
moving on
I was having speed problems with my connection  only getting 0.5 mbs download speed so got to know the helpful team in faults very well and they fought on my behalf and got me a steady 2.2mbs after a three month battle with openreach
they suggested lets put a order in for a new line and we will see if we can it connected to a fttc cabinet 
this was done after another three month saga with bt but full marks to the plus net team they kept on at bt on my behalf
Sadly we are still waiting fo bt to update there records so I can join the lucky people with Fibre Broadband
So here I am at 05.30am with my OCD on a forum
So to answer your question fastconnection your not the only one
Sorry if this makes no sense to anyone
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

FTTC can certainly help with this obsessive behaviour because the BT modem is locked out and you can't access the stats... 
...until you discover how to unlock the modem and install graphing scripts.  Crazy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
fastconnection
Grafter

Blimey..graphing scripts..thats a new one to me..ill have to look that up now!  Ahhhhh! Help..
I had a dream the other night...The Internet was just like the mains/gas supplies....When I plugged in my toaster,it just worked. When I turned on my Gas fire,it just worked,and when I went on the internet,it just worked...then I woke up....and all the stats came flooding back.....Im sure there must be a cure...somewhere....I'd call for a counsellor but he might turn up between 8 and 1 on a day that ive said I'm out. Wink
Seriously, despite all the moans I really Do think that Plusnet are genuinely trying to do a good Job and if you look at some of the other suppliers forums all told ,plusnet are bettter. Its the BT openreach and install teams that cause most of the problems and this will let them down. I sincerely hope they get this part of their business sorted,,for our sake and for theirs.
all the best!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

As soon as I read 'Noise Margin' or 'IP Profile' I have to go and recheck mine......It's sad isn't it?
Edit: See...I've just fired up Routerstats Embarrassed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
fastconnection
Grafter

wouldnt it be great if it was just like Electricity and Gas...you plug it in and it works...just dreaming......
kuga
Grafter

it would be just like they told us with computers
just turn it on and off you go
simple
if only
glad to see you still have your sense of humour
Velocity
Grafter

my line speed reads as below 40Mb must be from that incorrect provisioning software bug as I'm on 80/20 unlimited
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-12-31 19:50:14
Current line speed:
77.4 Mb
Routerstats hmmm will take a look  Wink
fastconnection
Grafter

nooooooo!  Dont look.......................!!!!
Anotherone
Champion

I dare you to run a BT speedtest as well  Crazy
The OCD does wear off a bit after a while.
Sorry got to go and check my errors  Embarrassed
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: fastconnection
Blimey..graphing scripts..thats a new one to me..ill have to look that up now!  Ahhhhh! Help..
They are excellent, but I like reading the log file  :-[.
I had a dream the other night...The Internet was just like the mains/gas supplies....When I plugged in my toaster,it just worked.
I've got one of those thingies from British Gas, (we have Dual Fuel from them) which is a weak attempt at a Smart Meter. You clip a sensor round the mains cable into the meter and a wireless display box somewhere convenient, and a little speedo-graph goes up and down on it as electrical items are turned on and off. With a lot of effort you can key in the price and last year's consumption and it gives you a ribbon  graph as well showing how you are doing during each day against budgeted usage for the month.
Syouper! Enjoyyyy!!
fastconnection
Grafter

estragon...noooo not the electricity as well.....stats stats stats......did you know that if someone puts a ferret at the exchange and gets it to follow your fibre and copper wires and you were 1km away it would take 10.677 minutes before you went.....ow!  Hang on...wonder whats happened to my SN ratio whilst I was washing up....ahhhhhh
Anotherone
Champion

OMG, I've had no errors in the last 60 minutes .....tap..tap..tap... oh, it's alright, the connection is still working. That reminds me, the barometer in the hall needs replacing.